NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have never use this plug before. Which model is the best when fish are not visible in the surface without birds. I would like an opinion on the fish catching ability of the Yozuri plugs compared to other brands. The Yozuri's are some of the prettiest plugs. They look so much more realist. Are they that much better than say Rebels or Creek Chubs, Rapala, and etc?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Yozuri vs. anything else

Hi Bluefishemaster,

Yozuris vs. any other manufacturer is not much of competition. As much as I hate paying those prices, I have not found many other manufactures that can come close. They have an amazing action, great finish and are very castable (Oh yea, they catch a lot of fish too).

I think Bass Pro has come the closest so far. They make a series called "Lazer Eye" in their saltwater catalog. They are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Yozuri's and look and act ALMOST as well. My father, brother and I bought some of the swimmers, poppers and both sizes of pencil poppers. I am just waiting for the weather to warm and the fish to start hitting surface plugs to try them out.

A Yozuri Pencil Popper will cost $15 to $18. IMHO They are by far the easiest to work and they work very well. The Lazer Eye will cost about $5 to $7. They are a little tougher to work properly, but they have a rattle built in. That Yozuri is a big nut to swallow, and I think I would rather have three lures and work a little harder.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I concur. Yo-zuri is tough to beat. I've got several 3600's filled with them, and they always seem to produce when others won't. If you wish to save a little money, I found a guy in Minnesota that sells "knock-offs" for less than a third of the price. Unfortunately, I found him after I had already spent a considerable sum on the real thing. I bought a couple of the "fakes" for comparison. They're extremely close to the originals.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the same one as in your uploaded
picture.Nice swimming plugs but one problem I found. The heaviest swimming plugs are 5/8oz. I cant cast them far but not as far as I would like too.
I like the Long Bomber A's I have a
7/8oz & 1 1/2oz chicken scratch and
can really launch these lures out there!
As pretty as the yozuri's are the Bombers have been the ones in which I have caught all my Keeper Bass!
Yozuri's make some excellent lures
but when it comes to swimming plugs
they fell short of makin heavier!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yo-zuri makes a wide variety of plugs for different applications. Their "mag" series, heaviest is an 1oz, has magnetic balls inside that increase casting distance. They cast further than any bomber (unless modified) I tossed. Although they are expensive, my favorite is the Mag Darter. Tossed this puppy into a good rip, I just wish they made a 2oz version this plug

·
Registered
126 Posts
yOZURI

Yozuri's are great. Think the Mag-Series was $12(?). Some sites have the other non-mag's for $8 (?).

Was at modell's last week and I saw some "smaller" yozuri's for $3.99. They seemed real light.

For the lighter lures, had to use 10lb. Caught blues and stripers. Also caught a searobbin once!

Good luck

·
Registered
498 Posts
Mag Darter

There are two sizes and they both produce , I never leave home w/o them, as for the swimmers they look great and swim better but to light to cast with any distance, imagine a 1 1/2oz crystal minnow in the snapper color MMMMMMMM

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey REDGILL, if you ask mommy for your allowance and you spend your last 10 or 15 dollars on a yozuri lure, you try it twice without catching a fish, I can see why you'd want to hang it from your rearview mirror.
Don't get me wrong but, a bomber long A or a Gibbs stubby needlefish are good plugs, given the right water conditions.
If you couldn't catch a fish with a bomber in a choppy surf that lure could be hanging from your rearview mirror too.
Yozuri's are excellent plugs and the only place that the're hanging is in every surf bag I own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey "Incog"! Sit down and take a deep breath! Sorry your so insulted by my reply but it was my honest answer to a question asked by a member of the forum.
(same applies to anyone else who loves the Yozuri)
I've spent plenty on Yozuri "swimmers" I've given them MORE than their share of time on the end of my rod. They caught..but switching to a bomber made the diff every time.
Yes they are the most realistic plugs out there...to fishermen.
I saw them years ago and they caught me despite the fact that I pride myself on not being one of the "me too" crowd.
I will buy whats proven to work no matter how cheap or expensive. It has to prove itself to me not just look pretty.
Penn,Lami,Bomber,Ande...so on.
You seem to have "labeled" me already.
Your talking to me like I'm some Ricer punk sitting here just to shoot off my BIG MOUTH!
Think you know me? Think again.
We're supposed to be on the same side here brother...ease up.
Matter of fact I'll tell ya what.I'll trade you my 'zuri's for the same amount of 1 1/4oz bucktails or Bombers!
'Nuff said. The most polite way I could think about calling truce!Wanna try to change my mind? E-mail me at [email protected]. We'll set up a "play date" Oops, I mean "Fishing trip" and you'll fish the Zuri. That is if my Mommy will let me.

REDGILL (getting Redder)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ouch... I didnt know this topic could cause problems between members. I apologized to both parties for starting this topic.

Sorry, fellow members. Dont get mad at each other's opinions. They are just comments. Words are just words.

I tested out 4 Yozuri plugs I picked up and asked my brother to use another lure and they caught the same numbers of fish. Of course when you got a lure that looked more like the actual baitfish, you'll get more strikes. We both caught bluefish and striper. I caught more bluefish, stripers, and 3 sea robins on my homemade jig than the Yozuri plug. The Yozuri is not wind resistant like my jig.

I think all lures has their moments.

Guys, buy the other member a cup of coffee each when you both decide to meet, shake hands, and be nice. No fish or lure is worth an arguement to see who is right or wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't worry Bluefishmaster. I won't dare be silly again. Sheesh! Make one comment...just go against the grain in front of the wrong person on the wrong day....Screw it, I'm going fishin.
I won't be involved in a thread war again, swear it, first and last time.
...even though he started it.

Hank (Don't tell my Mom)

·
Registered
404 Posts
yozuri swimmers

i've got a bunch of yozuri swimmers,floating and sinking crystal minnows, arc minnows and tobi maru.

i bought them because some of my friends swear by them, and because they were there (a sickness like women and shoes).

i have not done very well with them on the stripers as compared to bombers.

i think the main reason is that they seem to require a faster retrieve to develop their best action. i tend to retrieve swimmers very sloooowly for stripers.

they also don't cast as far because of their lighter weight.

i also take them off when blues are around, because of their cost and delicate finish.

when i am not catching and have tried many different lures, i have then put on a yozuri and guess what? i still didn't catch. what does that prove? it proves that they are not magic.

set,
opinari

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.