NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
You beat me to it. I was just going to post the same question. I usually use Ande white or pink but I decided to try the IGFA green on one of my set-ups (not easy to find) and kept seeing the Yozuri stuff everywhere. It ain't cheap but I was tempted anyway and would have gotten it but I finally found the Ande I wanted. I look forward to hearing from anyone else about this in case the green doesn't pan out.

Innkeeper

· Registered
12 Posts
I switched over one casting outfit last year to the Yo-Zuri. The yo-zuri has very minimal stretch (possibly none). Great sensitivity and hook setting power. No memory. The slick line really cranks off the reel and through the guides. This spring I switched all of my bait casting and spinning outfits over. Real nice stuff.

· Registered
28 Posts
I switched to the hybrid last year on my blackfish set up. It has some stretch but not as much as mono. I found that it worked very good for bottom fishing. This year its going on my fluke rods. I am also trying power pro on one of my fluke rods. I'll let you know how it works out. Lou

· Registered
2,214 Posts
I hate it. It has a very high diameter relative to it's breaking strength and is very stiff. It's definitely not suited for a spinning reel and I didn't even like on a conventional. The higher thickness necessitates heavier weights as it creates more resistance in the water. I used it once and threw it in the garbage.

Gamakatsu

· Registered
50 Posts
I hate it too

I spooled my conventional bass rod with the stuff. Althought the jury's not out yet, I will probably switch soon.

Here's why. Yes, it has low memory but that's not a good quality on a conventional spool. For instance, every time I try to flip a bait, or once the bait hit's the bottom, I can never be quick enough with the thumb to prevent a backlash from happening. The line never wraps tight enough on the spool. It seems like a minor thing, but when the bite's hot and your picking a bird's nest, it sucks.

· Banned
3,311 Posts
There must be more than one Yozuri Hybrid Line

There must be more than one because I've been using it since last season in the 12lb and 16lb test and absolutely none of what you guys posted holds true.

1) It has almost the same stretch as mono (not a bad thing).

2) the diameter is slightly LESS than mono. There is a chart somewhere on their website but I also can see the lower diameter in the same lb test as mono.

3) the memory is IDENTICAL to mono. I'm looking at a handful of line I pulled off a reel two weeks ago and it STILL has spool memory.

4) Not something to compare to fireline, or any other high-tech line. Think of this line strictly as mono that is less visible underwater.

I absolutely love the hybrid line. I think of it as a great alternative to mono. With the 12lb line on a light convential rod I've caught basically every inshore species except a blackfish. Had seven keeper basss last year in the 28" to 35" range on that outfit and the line held up fine.

· Banned
3,311 Posts
Still think we are talking about different line

Not strengh is not even a question. The hybrid is Mono underneath with fluorocarbon on the outside. I've found the knot strength to be even more durable than mono.

In away, I'm glad that there are so many negative opinions about the hybrid line. I see it as a major advantage over mono or using straight fluorcarbon. But hey, the less that other anglers use the product, the more effective it will be for me and my crew!

· Registered
2,214 Posts
Doctorfish,
I am sure that we are speaking of the same line. Gamakatsu makes a copolymer line that is much softer and thinner than Yozuri (.0145" vs .017" for 20# test). Since 90% of the fishing that I do is bottom fishing, I can't rate it for other uses, although I can't possibly imagine that it's worth anything on a spinning reel. To me, it felt almost like I was fishing with wire. The one positive that I did notice is that it is highly resistant to abrasion.

Gamakatsu

· Banned
3,311 Posts
Maye Yozuri Changed it for 2002

I bought my hybrid line last season. Maybe it's not the same stuff on the market today. It certainly doesn't feel like wire. It's equally as soft as the same pound test in mono. As a matter of fact, in a blindfold test I can't tell the difference. The goal with using this line wasn't to decrease line diameter. it was to have a line that has the same traits as mono but is virtually invisible, more resistant to abrasions, and more waterproof. The slightly smaller diameter was just a bonus. I'm gonna have to checkout a spool of this year's stock to see if they changed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.