NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to throw something out there, and ask what you would do in this situation.

Bought a new 2001 boat/motor/trailer from a dealer last year at the boat show, not a huge boat, 26' with an outboard on a bracket. 10 Hours into the season last year the 'dog' gears kept slipping out, and it need to be pulled and returned to the dealer for repair. Needles to say it was under warranty. We live, and slip the boat up the Merrimack river area, and don't have the appropriate transportation to haul the boat back down to Hingham, where it was purchased. A friend pulled it up from Hingham at the start of the season, and was kind enough to haul it back down, and again back up after the repair. 90 Hours later on the new boat, the lower end went, I mean it really went. Back down to Hingham again. We pleaded our difficult situation to the dealer of hauling the boat down again, to no avail. A borrowed truck did get the boat down there for a full replacement of the lower end, and after leaving it down there for three weeks, a borrowed truck again got it back home. This spring we find out that the dealership wants us to bring it back down for a water test to make sure all is well. I **** near lost my mind. They had the boat for three weeks last fall, winterized it, and never mentioned anything about a water test, and had full knowledge of our difficulties of trailering. Yet expect us to hoof it right back down there. Couldn't stand for it, this is service after spending 50K? Contacted a marina up by where we slip the boat, and they agreed to come down for a water test and charge 2 hours labor, I was more than happy with that. Splashed the boat, no reverse. Possibly the shift cable is stretched, but they suggested we bring it back to the place of purchase for full inspection and service. We call Bombardier, the new manufacture of the motor, and they were very helpful, but also suggested we return it to the place of purchase. The boat and motor have all of 100 hours on it, and is fast approaching more time on the trailer than in the water. Now it's a principle issue. Call the dealer, they will come get the boat in two weeks for a cost of $400. I am at the end of my rope. We did buy the extended warranty, so there is chance any certified place could perform the work. However, after speaking to Bombardier we were advised that if for some reason we have to go after the dealership for incompetent service, it would be much easier if all work was performed at a single location. Sorry for the length, but had to vent, and am interested in your thought's.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
That is the problem with purchasing a boat from a dealer too far away. Not to pour salt on the wound, but I don't think you can blame the dealer. It is not his fault you live so far away.

Good luck with your boat.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
time to contact the right guy!

IF THAT WAS MY BOAT I WOULD TAKE PICTURES VIDEO TAPE DOCUMENT EVERYTHING AND CALL A LAWYER RIGHT AWAY. YOU CANNOT LET DEALERS AND BOAT MANUFACTUERS GET AWAY WITH THIS. THERE IS NO LEMON LAW WITH BOATS. BUT I BET YOU ANYTHING IF YOUR LAWYER MAKES A CALL TO THE DEALER AND MANUFACTURE THEY'LL JUMP LIKE A MONKEY. MY FRIEND HAS A 1.6 MIL 50' POST THE ENGINES WERE NEVER RIGHT ALWAYS SMOKED THEY DID EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN TO NO AVAIL WITH OUT CORRECTING THE PROBLEM. ONCE HE GOT HIS LAWYER INVOVLED THEY FINALLY OFFER HIM NEW EGINES. BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOILD FACTS AND PROOF CALL YOUR LAWYER RIGHT AFTER YOU READ THIS MESSAGE IT WILL SAVE YOU A WORLD OF TROUBLE!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well your not going to like me but you asked for our "thoughts" first it sounds like much of your frustraton has to do with the fact of moving your boat,,why did you buy a 26 footer on TRAILER with no means to move it,,thats like buying a pizza in a chinese restaraunt,,it just dont make sense,,second like the other post you bought from a dealer an extended warranty,who is far from you,,,they are the ones who will fix it,,bought you are the one who bought it from this dealer who is far away...now having said that i sympathize with you and all i can say is if they are still willing to work with you and fix things no charge then dont lawyer up on them because they may just "vapor lock" and tell you "see yah in court" welcome to the frustrating world of boating,,good luck

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Drem you say don't lawyer up But if you read in his post they want to charge him 400.00 for moving the boat under warranty if the boat is disabled they are responsible to fix as well as getting it to there facilities. I have had experinces with things such of this.
You dont have to take leagal action just the incline of a lawsuit makes them roll. They don't say see you in court because when they are in the wrong they don't have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do know that seaswirl does not have alot of marinas in the NH/Mass area, so I can see that it may not have been possible for you to buy a boat from a marina right near you. Also, I dont think people should be bashing you about the towing issue...people buy boats everyday that have to rely on other people to tow or move their boats. Alot of people buy boats with no trailers. Im sure your frustration is the fact that you are having to have it towed for problems with a brand new boat, and at your expense. Thats why people buy new boats, so they dont have these kind of problems. I think the marina should understand that and at LEAST offer to split towing charges. I wouldnt think that a lawsuit should be your next step, but maybe contact the owner of the marina and make him aware of the situation. Customer service does not sound like a top priority at this marina. Bottom line, you bought a brand new boat, paid alot of money, and have no support behind you. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drem, I do appreciate your thought's and I have no issue with your point of view, however I do not understand it. You are correct that I have a problem with the fact I am towing a new boat that has 10 hours on it because it needs the dog gears replacement. Again, yes I am upset that I am towing a boat that has all of 100 hours on it because the lower end is shot. I am still upset that that dealer is again asking we to tow the boat back down to them for a test that should have been performed when they still had the boat in their possession last fall. I don't care if the dealer was located right next door to me, they had the boat, and should have finished the service when they had it. We bought a brand new boat and trailer with the obvious naive thought of towing it twice a year, once to splash it, and once to pull it for the season, wouldn't that make sense. Arrangements to encompass that towing had already been taken care of. I DID NOT buy a new boat with a trailer to bring it back tot he dealer three times in the first year of use. Buying a brand new boat that you plan on bringing back to the dealer this many times for this many problems wouldn't make sense to me. Losing weeks on end of fishing and boating because the thing is taking on that yellow tinge of a lemon isn't something I planned on. If you bought a 50K pepperoni pizza and they delivered an onion, would you expect the pizza place to take some responsibility?

I have issue with the fact that if any consideration was shown by the dealer, in the fact if the water test was performed last fall before they sent the boat home for the winter, this would not be an issue. They had the boat, sent it back, just to have us bring it right back down, no consideration from the dealer. If we had done the water test last fall, the problem would have been identified, repaired, and I wouldn't be all wound up, but out on the water participating in all the great fishing I have been reading about.
As for kicking this up a notch to a legal issue, it is not something I want to do. I suppose the only thing that could make boating more costly would be to involve lawyers. Although, if this continues I suppose my hands will be tied. A call to a the AG and the BBB might actually do something, and make me feel a bit better.
Again, thanks for your thought's, I hope I don't not reflect hostility, but only frustration, and tight lines to all.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for the reality check

Ahhhhh.... the glory, beauty and benefits of boat ownership.... as I find myself lamenting over not owning one, stories like this slap me back into reality. My sympathy's go out to you jf, I don't think I would have taken any of this half as well as you have. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I AM ASSUMING YOU BOUGHT A JOHNSON/ OR EVINRUDE- LET ME KNOW WHAT SIZE AND I WILL SEE WHAT I CAN FIND OUT FOR YOU. YOU MUST ACT QUICK BECAUSE YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY IS PROBABLY ABOUT TO EXPIRE. ALSO, I KNOW ALOT ABOUT EXTENDED WARRANTIES- WHO IS YOUR POLICY WITH?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.