NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Yo-Zuri Hydro pencil on a whim. Looks like it should work nicely, but havent had a hit on it in 3 or 4 times out with it. Has anyone else tried these lures and had any luck, and if so what type of retrieve?

I normally go really dead-slow with pencils, raising the rod tip every 5 turns or so. I've tried all different retrieves with no hits. I am fishing the jetty at shinne****, and also by the ponoquogue bridge just before the high tide and during slack.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Basstardo,

I have a couple of the Yozuri Pencil Poppers. Of all of the pencil poppers that I own (with the exception of a custom courtesy of Hagar) they are the easiest to work. I have caught fish with them, but I can't say if they outproduced any of the other brands.

I haven't caught any fish on a pencil popper or any surface plug so far this year. I use a much different retrieve than you. I place the butt of the rod between my legs, and grip the blank between my thumb and fore and middle fingers, between the fore grip and first guide. Then I gently shake the rod tip up and down, a foot or so, while slowly retrieving the lure. You will have to judge the speed of the retrieve and how you shake the rod based on the lure. Anyway, this really gets the pencil going back and forth (walking the dog) and still brings it in nice and slow.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I've seen them in shops, as well as the Polaris style plug. Haven't tried them yet.

I'm sure they do work, whether better than a Gibbs or Super Strike remains to be seen.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
958 Posts
i have a few of them also, i retrieve them fast with as much racket on top of the water that i can make.. ive caught many coctail blues that way this year...im a little upset how easily the paint comes off of these things..for 15.99 i figured it would last more than 3-4 times fishing..anyone with similar problem?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Good post by Doughboy. The pencil is made to be worked so a walk the dog effect is accomplished. You can work it other ways but getting it moving in that fashion will get you the best results. Most agree -along with myself- that a bass will strike the plug out of aggression. For example -the pencil is an excellent choice when bass are feeding on sand eels. Why? Because in theory anyway-the pencil is disrupting the feed and the bass will strike it out of aggression. The strikes are usually more violent than any other plug.Another good time is when the bass are not on the feed but are there. Again -the pencil will disturb bass in that state and they will hit the plug out of aggression. How many times have you seen the pencil produce when nothing else in your bag does? MAny for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.