NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to think about buying a new truck, a 1/2 ton p/u. My dilemma is that I currently own a Chevy, and I've been pretty happy with it. I have owned doges in the past and was pretty happy with them. Now dodge is offering a lifetime warranty, which could save me some bucks, since I keep my trucks for a long time and put a lot of miles on them. What do you guys think about the chevy vs dodge decision. Forget about Ford, I've owned two Fords in my life and both were IMHO the worst engineered vehicles I've ever owned, so Ford is out, unless they are giving them away!

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Mike I have 4 Chevy's (3 trucks)

One is from 1989 with a V8 350, on the beach for 20 years, still purrs like a kitten.
Two are 2003 models, one is a trailblazer 4x4 (not a great beach vehicle but it's the family car), the other is a 2003 2500HD (V
series that glides across the beach with a 2,000 lb slide on camper on it's back.

The other is a 1995 Lumina, drive back and forth to work everyday, no problems.

I would buy another GM without hesitation.

·
Registered
14,513 Posts
Mike,

I would go out and test drive both, tell several different dealerships your Chevy vs Dodge story, get the lowest price possible from the salesman.

Go home think about, then call up the fleet manager at the chevy dealership and get an even better deal, then buy the chevy and behave yourself.

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
Chevy1
I'm was assuming you posted in the other truck thread. I did't bother to read that one because I thought it was going to be another one of those endless name calling bashing type threads. Then after I posted I thought about your screen name and said to myself, "Joe you're an idiot"

I'm known to do that. Sorry

·
Banned
7,173 Posts
makomike wrote:
I'm starting to think about buying a new truck, a 1/2 ton p/u. My dilemma is that I currently own a Chevy, and I've been pretty happy with it. I have owned doges in the past and was pretty happy with them. Now dodge is offering a lifetime warranty, which could save me some bucks, since I keep my trucks for a long time and put a lot of miles on them. What do you guys think about the chevy vs dodge decision. Forget about Ford, I've owned two Fords in my life and both were IMHO the worst engineered vehicles I've ever owned, so Ford is out, unless they are giving them away!

now this is a bit funny.

but all kidding aside. the best advice i could ever offer to you these days is to stay away from dodge. especially there 1500 series. the dodge 1500 is the #1 traded in vehicle within our market. reason being they just do not hold up.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Read the fine print on that "lifetime" warranty All Ram cab and chassis vehicles are not covered that excludes the lifetime warranty on their trucks and you must bring it in every 5 years for an inspection and must be made within 60 days of 5 year anniversary

This post edited by STRIKERTHREE 12:18 PM 01/05/2008

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
My $02.

I've had my F-150 (03 v6 longbed 4X4) back and forth to FL. several times...it tows my trailered boat, total package, trailer boat and junk
a good 150 days a year in traffic on the highway and down some pretty crappy roads sometimes. I have had zero, zero problems, save my rear end was leaking from brand new and they fixed that on my 1'st oil change. I get around 20 on the road with some stuff in the bach and around 17-16 around town, unless It's summer then I drive klike every other Abeep who's vacation I'm not on...

My last truck was a 98 Chevy 3500, great truck , but was very thirst..I don't need that much truck anymore....they don't let me catch enough to justify a 1 ton anymore.

I was really sour on Fords, but my brothers company swithched to all fords a few years earlier, from all Dodges, it's a pool co. with 15 vehicles, all the F- 150's are still the same ones they bought in '00 except for one that was crashed, they haven't had to do any repairs yet and they all have in excess of 1500,000 and a few have over 200,000 and they are still going just fine, my stepson works there also and he drives one everyday.

I think Chevies ride better, I think they have nicer stereos and I think they probably have better wiring. as far as the overal truck is concerned? I don't Mike, I'm really happy with mine and I'm not usually too happy about much

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
We use all 3 at work. They go in cycles of 5 years. Fords, Dodge and GM. I've had all 3 and currently have an '03 Sierra with 158,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free other than typical maintenance. The only problem was the right front brake rotor was replaced twice. The trucks we use for work get driven pretty hard and during the winter months round the clock at times. The Dodges that came in a few years ago all had the same problem.........transmissions were not holding up and were constantly back to Dodge. Now some foreman are running into their 5 year cycle and are getting the '08 Ford F-150's and all I hear is they don't like them.

My personal vehicle is a 95 GMC Sierra, Z71 with around 168,000 miles on it and it still runs great.............

Before that was a GMC pickup and so on..........you see where I'm goin with this
;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ken,
Not giving up on the silverado, just had the front end work done and that should be goo for another 200,000.
But I am starting to think about something new and that dodge lifetime warranty has a lot of attraction for me, especially if I'm going to put 500,000 ,iles on it!
Now if the dodge truck doesn't come with the lifetime warranty, then its an entirely different story and I'll probably stick with a chevy.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.