NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
bait boy:

Recreational striped bass anglers are permitted to take (= kill) one striped bass a day of at least
28 inches in length. Again, what's the confusion? IT DOES MATTER HOW MANY BASS YOU KILL IN A DAY. One angler, having killed a Striped Bass, can not subsequently catch and keep (kill) another Striped Bass the same day.

My motivation, as I've said numerous times, was to let immoral fishermen know that not every bystander is going to sit back and allow them to break the law. There are consequences. I am a Coastal Conservation Association member, and as such, I have the duty to report such acts to the proper authorities and to try my hardest to protect the marine fisheries. If that means posting a report of law-breaking, then so be it. The DEC didn't do their job that day, so I brought the report to the public so guys would be aware of what was happening.

"bait boy?" What's your name? If you are so strong in your belief that nothing illegal was done that day, then stand firm and reveal yourself. Don't hide. Be confident.

THE KID [a.k.a. 'BLACKBALL']

·
Registered
19 Posts
bait boy:

As I have asserted from the beginning, my intention was never to make enemies in posting that report. Rather, I wanted the violator(s) to be aware that I saw what happened and that it did not go unnoticed. My goal wasn't to have people fined or arrested or to make guys angry (which my post may have done). I only wanted to show other anglers that it's okay to fight back against guys that don't abide by the laws set to protect our fish.

Over the past few seasons I saw the gentleman who actually killed those two fish that day step on fish, yank hooks carelessly out of fish that he later kicked back into the water (some release technique, huh?), and drop-kick ****tail blues back into the surf. I was fed up with that nonsense. And to be quite honest, I felt ashamed that I never said anything to the guy before. His taking two bass (one short) that day sent me over the edge. Too many guys have been reluctant to mention anything to him or to report him. After I witnessed yet another blatant disregard of environmental law, I felt it was time to act. The only reason I didn't confront him on the beach then and there was because I was getting some pretty harsh stares from the guy and his pal. I didn't want to get into a verbal (potentially physical) confrontation, so I walked away clearly displaying my disgust.

I could care less about print and spreading my name. That wasn't even a distant thought when I posted the report. Fortunately, I got enough press as a High School & College QB. Those were the glory days -- these are the fun, relaxing times. That having been said, I do intend to write about the sport (surfcasting) some day -- books, articles, poetry, etc. But until I've built up some more experience and have spent more time on the water I'll leave that to the veterans. Until then, I'll just write about what I do know. Things like 1) the fact that environmental law is there for the salvation of our precious sea life & 2) in order to gain the respect of other anglers we must be held accountable for our actions.

The beach we've been discussing has been my home base for the past decade. I love it. And while I've noticed an influx of "new faces," I have also become more intent on keeping the place pristine -- both in terms of cleanliness and morality. If a guy breaks the law on my "home base," (and no I don't mean I own that beach), and in my presence, he can rest assured that I will try my hardest to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Tight lines and good luck. No hard feelings.
Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
"If I fish with one rod one reel and five -seven years kids who are on wheel chairs.
And I caught 6 keepers and gave away 5 shorts to the bystanders , and bring 6
keepers and the kids back to the car. Now, are you going to call DEC on me"

IF YOU GAVE AWAY ONE SHORT I WOULD CALL THE DEC ON YOU. I WOULDN'T CARE IF YOU WERE FISHING WITH POPE JOHN PAUL II!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think a couple of people here have too much free time. Has anyone heard of a thing called a job. If you are keeping short bass you probaly don't know what one is!

This message was edited by Surfflyfisher on 11-30-01 @ 12:28 PM

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bait Boy's words:

"We have no problem to see a few new faces as long as they
respect the beach, the fish, and the other fishermen."

Why require respect for the fish from newcomers, when it's not a way of life among "regulars"?
I am civil to anyone, but the other fishermen must earn any respect they get from me.
I can't "respect" someone who thinks that the law is for everybody but them.
I can't respect ignorance, selfishness, arrogance, elitism, cronyism, or posers.

Do you really think I give a rats a$$ about your "problems"?
I have a problem with poachers. I have a problem paying the salary of a goldbrick.
I have a problem with people who confuse stagnation with ownership of public property.
Just because I don't hit the same spot every day, doesn't mean I give up my right to visit.
If you don't like seeing me there, please feel free to leave at any time. Don't even say 'bye.
Like it or not, it's as much MY beach as it is yours! Even if you're there 24/7.

I find it easy to obey the law because it agrees with my personal philosophy.
When abberrant behavior irritates me, I will use the law to enforce my own morals.
If you think we should be allowed to keep shorts, go change the law.
Because as long as it agrees with my personal principles, I'll let the guy with the badge talk for me. That's what he gets paid for (with MY tax money). That's his job.
If I pay for a job to get done, I want it to get done.

Speaking of "job", if someone gets paid by the county to pick up garbage on the beach,
and instead they find a coop to sleep in, nobody can find them. But if they bring a fishing rod
to work, and end up in the suds laughing, don't be surprised if they turn up on the cover of
Newsday, with the caption "civil servant at work". Remember, one picture is worth a thousand words!

Flounder

·
Registered
343 Posts
ONE rod, ONE reel, ONE (legal) fish.

No, you can't give away shorts.
No, you can't give each child a keeper.
You can't keep the second one.
Read the law again. What does the "PER DAY" mean?
"One fish. PER ANGLER, PER DAY."

I'd like to see you push those wheelchairs through the sand.
Why are you hiding behind the physically challenged?
What do they have to do with anything?

THE KID is right, I don't care if you're with the Pope.
You still have to obey the law.
"The law is a thin, blue line, that seperates us from the animals."
(I didn't invent that, I just agree with it)

Flounder

·
Registered
19 Posts
bait boy:

Although I may not agree with your point of view, I do understand that everyone is entitled to their opinions and such. That's one of the things that makes us all distinct individuals. And I can appreciate that.

However, I don't appreciate you passing judgement on my person. In the correspondence we've shared on this public forum have I once insulted your person? No. That's not my style. So please, respect me and leave the personal attacks out of this.

I am sure Bill is a nice guy. He just doesn't follow the law, and when I'm around -- whether someone is breaking into cars, commiting violent crimes, or YES, killing more than the legal limit/undersized fish -- I'm not going to stand for it. Unfortunately, because of the situation we are rehashing like crazy, Bill and I probably won't be the closest of friends. Regardless, I wish him well, and I can only hope that he comes to respect environmental law as it is meant to be respected.

·
Registered
343 Posts
"flounder: i'm sorry to offence you in some way."

No doubt about it, you DO have a way with words!

There's no way I can win a "stupid" contest when I'm pitted against the real thing. I quit.

SMILE! You're on candid camera!

Flounder

This message was edited by flounder on 11-30-01 @ 1:08 PM

·
Registered
58 Posts
PERSPECTIVE:

Is it me or has everyone on the board lost their minds. I feel a little guilty writing this now, since I was the first one to repond to this ridiculus discussion.

LET'S ALL REMEMBER THAT THIS IS FISHING WE'RE TALKING ABOUT - NOT A CURE FOR CANCER NOR THE SEACRH FOR OSAMMA BIN LADEN.

And speaking of bin Laden, I think everyone needs to take a moment and realize how lucky we all are to be able to enjoy a day of surf fishing. I'm not sure, but I would guess at least one of the 9/11 victims was a surf fisherman.

Baitboy: You have obviously have spent too much time on the beach and not enough time with Baitgirl! Get your priorities strait and relax. In a few weeks the season will be over and then what will you complain about?

EVERYONE: PLEASE JOIN WITH ME, BOYCOTT THIS SUBJECT AND STOP RESPONDING TO IT NOW. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

Let's all be thankful for waking up this morning.

Tight Lines,

AtomAnt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bait Boy,
Maybe it's me... I could be drunk, but are you actually defending the dregs of the beaches and piers? Are you saying that everybody kills and keeps short bass and in great numbers? That sir (and I use that term as loosely as possible), is preposterous. There is a world of difference between "Surf Fishermen" and that average Joe going down to beach. Surf Fishermen, in my experience, are respectful and dedicated people, well versed in the regulations of their targeted species. They appreciate the fish for what it brings into their lives, not what it puts into their stomachs. Most of them care immensly about the conservation of our fisheries and about the condition of our local beaches as well. To say that they knowingly and wantonly abuse the laws, and the priviledges that these laws provide to them, is an insult to myself as well as every Surf Rat I know. Alerting the proper authorities to a person who is contributing to the degradation of the Striped Bass fisheries is not only a commemdable action, but an admirable one. Your views are twisted and your opinions are as valued as the ball of discarded fishing line that you left on the beach.

You are a disgrace to the lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Giving away a bass is fine as long as the law isn't watching, once the fish is out of yer posession and is in someone else's cooler you are legal and free to keep another legal bassif that's yer thing.The key word in the law is POSESSION> LATER

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.