NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We could go into a good size store that had racks upon racks of all the different manufacturers factory built rods and blanks for building custom rods. This way we could get to play (ceiling poke, floor bend or hand flex) all these different blanks/rods.

Thanks to all the tackle stores and sporting goods stores, we can check out many factory rods.
This helps us make an informed choice when we buy the rod.

Unfortunately this does not exist for some one who wants to buils her/his own custom rod. In the past it has been trial and error. This can get expemsive. Word of mouth along with show and tell worked if you knew the right people.

Fortunately, thanks to many web sites on fishing, we can get an insight into the rods/blanks other fishermen are using and why.

Unfortunately the tackle shops I am aware of are not able to have racks upon racks of blanks for us to check out. Oh well, maybe someone from Home Depot could rectify this. HA!!!

I appreciate the input that all you fishermen contribute in this matter. Thanks.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought that it what your Den is for?????

One thing you can do is carry a notepad with you when you go into a shop, go fishing, or go to a show. You never know when you might come across a rod/blank that you may like, or might suit a particular type of fishing. Jot down a few notes as to action, specs, etc so you don't forget.

I have a vision of the back of the conference room with blanks in barrels, on tables leaning up against walls, rods on tables, guys poking & pulling. Flashback to Allentown!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Morning.

Just returned from visiting Shep in J & H tackle in Oakdale. This is a good place to go to see a very good selection of factory built rods, racks and racks, many manufacturers.

If anyone knows of others tackle shops with good selections of rods and blanks post it here so everyone can benefit.

Looking for a good selection of guides in a showcase that you can get a good look at, try Capt T's in Bayport.

Billy, the den/shop in not big enough anymore. Wait till you see whats in it now. I gotta sell some of these blanks before I purchase anymore, HA!!!!

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

G

·
HEY CAPT NEIL UNFORTUNATELY MIDLAND CLOSED ABOUT A YEAR AGO THIS WAS A PLACE A BUILDER COULD GO TO AND SPEND AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE TIME AS YOU WANTED STABBING AND POKING BLANKS ON THE CEILING OR FLOOR. BUILDERS HAD A CHANCE TO TALK TO OTHER BUILDERS (PRE DISCUSSION BOARDS) AND ACTUALLY SEE WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT. ITS TRUE THE STORE SPECIALIZED IN CLOSEOUTS HOWEVER NOT EVERY ROD BUILT IS MADE FOR SALE . I'VE LOOKED AT MANY MANY TACKLE SHOPS IN 718.516.631. 201 ETC AND NOTHING COME CLOSE. MAYBE NEIL THIS IS YOUR OFF SEASON CALLING. TIGHT LINES IZZY

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi IIZZY.

How are you?

It would be fun to have a store just for lots of blanks and components. Meeting everyone would be most of the fun.

Unfortunately it would be very costly to set up.
And, I don't think there would be enough business every day to keep it open.

Racks and racks of blanks. yeah!!!!

See you at the RodCrafter National Seminar in March.

Take care. Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.