NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was thinking of putting in a wood stove .what will i be looking at interms of money for the stove and the pipes ?i have almost un limited wood avalble but i have no fireplace. do any of yeu guys and gals notice a savings in heat bills ? thanks

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
First, you need to check your local building codes to see if it's allowed in your area.
Check with the town building dept and see.:rolleyes: And yes, if you can do it, and get the right stove you can save a bunch............

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just had my stove installed about 3 weeks ago and I am LOVING it!!!
It heats the whole house! My thermostat is now set at 55 and not once does the burner ever click on. The only problem is that the room with the stove gets real hot....about 85 degrees, but the rest of the house is around 68 - 70. Mine cost about $3800.00 installed but I had a fireplace and they ran the liner up the existing chimney. The stove sits on the existing hearth. My stove is also a soapstone stove which holds the heat in the stone muchb longer than a cast iron or steel stove. When filled, it will burn about 8 hrs before having to reload with the damper all the way down.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
i love them.
my dad had two in my house growing up. one in the basement and one in the kitchen. had one of my own for years in my last house. do not have one now, but i would only keep one now for atmosphere, and alternative heat source.

the cost of a good air tight wood stove (even used or reconed) along with a pad, insulation, stove pipe, permits, installation, maint, etc etc...and the work of keeping wood was (for me) never realized in home heating savings .
that was a lot of years ago however.
now with the price of oil you may be able to break even on the stove in a few years time.

This post edited by FredyFluke 07:34 PM 01/01/2008

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
crabman1130 wrote:
I was thinking of a pellet stove. I don't have a fireplase and the pellet stoves can be vented through the wall.

But from what I hear, with pellet stoves, if you lose power the stove don't work.:rolleyes: And you need pellets by the truckload..........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
gverb1219 wrote:
crabman1130 wrote:
I was thinking of a pellet stove. I don't have a fireplase and the pellet stoves can be vented through the wall.

But from what I hear, with pellet stoves, if you lose power the stove don't work.:rolleyes: And you need pellets by the truckload..........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd have no choice because I have no way to vent a regular stove. Besides if the power goes out I have no heat anyway. And the pellets are easy to store. They come in 40# bags and I can stack them in the geeerage.

·
Registered
430 Posts
safety!

Fieldtester wrote:
It heats the whole house! My thermostat is now set at 55 and not once does the burner ever click on. The only problem is that the room with the stove gets real hot....about 85 degrees, but the rest of the house is around 68 - 70. Mine cost about $3800.00 installed but I had a fireplace and they ran the liner up the existing chimney. The stove sits on the existing hearth. My stove is also a soapstone stove which holds the heat in the stone muchb longer than a cast iron or steel stove. When filled, it will burn about 8 hrs before having to reload with the damper all the way down.

1. Use Dry firewood!

2. Damper all the way down = creosote in chimney
Creosote in chimney = liklihood of chimney fire
Chimney fire = needing to change your skivvies, or A LOT worse.

3. Try filling the stove with smaller amounts of wood and letting it burn hotter. Small air transfering fans that mount in the top doorway corners really help the cool room/"skivvies-only" room heat issues.

4. Use Dry firewood!!!

5. Buy a chimney brush kit and use it at least once a year.

(Been heating exclusively with wood for about the last 35 years here in Maine) Learned some of the above the Hard Way. "Wood - The Fuel Of The Future"

Good luck - Jay

ps. the mantle above the wood stove can't be beat for a spot to raise a loaf of bread or two.

This post edited by oldmil007 08:58 PM 01/01/2008

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
Pellet stoves

crabman1130 wrote:

The other thing with them is pellet avaiability, I know a few guys who have had a hard time finding pellets. Some places carry a small supply once a year and thats it.

As for saving money on heating bills, you can only save money if you get free wood. If you have to pay for it your savings will be zero.

I installed a new fireplace insert two years ago after buying used inserts for the past 10 years. This one ( by Regency ) was about $2800.00 and I installed it myself ($500.00 savings).
Best investment I made, I burn about 6 to 8 full cords of wood from Dec to march and cut my oil from 5 or 6 fills from Oct to March to 3 fillups( 275 gallon tank) so paying off the price of the fireplac insert only takes a few winters.

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
crabman1130 wrote:
Lowes sells pellets. I'm sure you can order from them. Some of the newer stoves will also burn corn.

wouldnt that make popcorn :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Fieldtester wrote:

I agree the soapstone stoves hold the heat a **** of allot better more money but worth it

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
oldmil007 wrote:
Fieldtester wrote:

1. Use Dry firewood!

2. Damper all the way down = creosote in chimney
Creosote in chimney = liklihood of chimney fire
Chimney fire = needing to change your skivvies, or A LOT worse.

3. Try filling the stove with smaller amounts of wood and letting it burn hotter. Small air transfering fans that mount in the top doorway corners really help the cool room/"skivvies-only" room heat issues.

4. Use Dry firewood!!!

5. Buy a chimney brush kit and use it at least once a year.

(Been heating exclusively with wood for about the last 35 years here in Maine) Learned some of the above the Hard Way. "Wood - The Fuel Of The Future"

Good luck - Jay

ps. the mantle above the wood stove can't be beat for a spot to raise a loaf of bread or two.

Very good advice my buddy actually burns newspapaers he rolls them so tight and ties them with wire and burns them instead of wood

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
Very good advice my buddy actually burns newspapaers he rolls them so tight and ties them with wire and burns them instead of wood
[/quote]

When I was a kid in the late 70's my sister had a house in Shirley with a wood stove, and some kind of roller thing to roll newspapers into firelogs, worked great, I forgot all about that thing, wonder if they still sell em?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.