NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went fishing sat on a friends boat trolling wire line. It was my first time with wire and my last.
We caught fish but it was like reeling in a rock. the fish were half dead from being pulled behind a 4000lb boat. Its just my opinion but I dont consider this fishing this type of fishing takes the sport out of it

jat

·
Registered
224 Posts
there is no sport in wire line fishing using a 4/0 or a 5/0 senator for bass and bluefish is insane. but it does produce fish thats why most charter and commercial bass fisherman use that method...but when most charter captains go out for fun without a charter they dont even think about using wire. a 300 pound shark can be landed on most wire line outfits

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Hey Guys,
I don't disagree about it killing the fight of a fish being dragged behind the boat,but I DO believe that there is an art in spooning bass.I've been out on days when the real sharpies are knocking them dead(big fish too) and the rest of the guys are dealing with bluefish and schoolies.I feel the same way about tuna.Don't get me wrong,I love the sound of a reel dumping out line but when the fight is on its still being dragged behind the boat.Theres nothing like a tuna while jigging or on the chunk.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
186 Posts
hi guys
yeah theres nothing like casting a lure to a breaking fish,or maybe chunking bunker or floating an eel but there are times when nothing works like trolling. what i do is troll two wire line rigs and when i get a hit on one i have the other reeled in and either throw the motor into neutral or shut her down. it's not the best fight but if the fish is big enough you can enjoy the fight. i have never tried it but i would think investing the money in a downriggrer might not be a bad option ,since when the fish strikes the line to the rod is seperated from the heavy down weight and you can fight the fish as if you had made a long cast.

vinnyf

ps. if anyone has experience with a down rigger maybe you can pass it along

thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree with all that has been said about wire. It takes the joy out of the fight, but it catches big fish when you pull bunker spoons. I have found middle ground, by pulling the shad umbrella with mono. When I get a fish, I throw the boat in neutral & the fight is on. My rod is a med. action graphite Lamiglass rod, and I have a Calcutta reel. The shad umbrella catches tons of fish, but in two seasons, the largest have only been in the upper teens.

I have to admit, I get a little jealous when I see those wire-line guys coming in with cow after cow. I thought about setting up with wire, but I just can't do it.

As far as downriggers go, I am told that with the line coming from the weight of the downrigger, the spoons lose much of their action.

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've done both and have switched to downriggers. I run med. size tube & worm 40-50' behind the ball using spinning rod&reel. When a fish is on someone pulls up the other rig and I kick into neutral and enjoy the fight. Also have lots more control over depth of rig. Not as many cows though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.