NorEast Fishing Forum banner

WIRE LINE ROD AND REEL

995 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  leakyrivot 
#1 ·
I would like to do some troling (pehaps an umbrella rig)on the north shore for stripers. Someone told me I need wire line to keep it on the bottom. If wire line is used I understand a special rod and reel is necessary to prevent the line from destroying the equiptment??? If that's so, what are the possibilities of picking up one or preferably two rigs second hand inexpensively? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,
George

#2 ·
Welcome to the ASK THE PROs board on NOREAST.COM, St. George.

Yes, if you like to do some trolling, especially with a umbrella rig, you need a particular type of outfit.

First you need WIRE LINE trolling rods, which have blanks that are specifically made for this type of fishing. They have CARBOLOY guides that will not be worn out by wire. One company, SEEKER a California rod building company makes a number of different 'off the rack' trolling outfits. Penn also makes the BCS2661RTC and BCS2701RTC wire line outfits. The rods alone run in the price range of 100 dollars to 175 dollars for something off the rack. Custom made trolling rods, like ones made for BUNKER SPOONING can run into hundreds of dollars a piece.

Next you need reels, and the standard is the Red Penn Senator 4/0 with a chrome over brass spool. This reel has the gearing and capacity to handle the rigors of trolling with wire line. Their is nothing else on the reel market that compare to this reel when it comes to trolling. 4/0H reels can be bought used for a little as 50 dollars at tackle shows, and can be purchased rigged with brand new wire for around 125 dollars complete.

Finally you need wire, and their are two types. One is Stainless, and the other in Monel. I have written about the pros and cons of both types of wire, and you should do a SEARCH on wire line outfits on this site to find a more detailed explaination. The wire is marked every 50 or the standard 100 feet to give you a idea on how much wire you have let out.

Wire line outfits can be purchased at many tackle shops. Some tackle shops have specifically rigged wire line outfits, that are already rigged with wire and are ready to be 'fished'. On line internet companies such as SHARK RIVER, also sell complete wire line outfits. Sometimes, if you search the for sale boards on NOREAST, you can find already setup trolling outfits, for a very reasonable price. I have seen Shakespeare trolling outfits with red 4/0 reels with wire, sell for 125 dollars a piece! But usually the best time to find these bargains on trolling outfits are at the end of the fishing season in November!
Finally you can check out ebay for some of this tackle, but the best bet is to get out to the few remaining tackle swap meets, or watch the for sale boards.

I would also do a little research on how to troll the various types of rigs, like umbrellas, plugs and spoons. Trolling is not as simple as putting a line out, and the fish hits. Trolling speed, lure selection, lure color, water depth, areas, and trolling patterns are all factors that you have to take into account if you do this type of fishing. One thing you can look at as a alternative, is a downrigger. Again do a search on NOREAST and you will read some posts on how effective these rigs can be.

EC NEWELL MAN*

(This post edited by EC NEWELL MAN on 04/15/2003)

#4 ·
wire trolling

I do not use wire that much.The outfit I use is a Shakespeare 4/0 rod,w/ceramic guides,at least they look like ceramic.Reel is a Penn 500 Jigmaster.Then I can change over the spools and use the same set up with mono.I have two of these outfits,purchased this way from Beckman's B&T in Lynbrook L.I.a few years ago for about $130 each.
Using mono or wire,neither of these outfits has ever let me down.
Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.