NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I live on the North Fork. Over the winter I got a wire line rod to try at Montauk. Does anyone have some suggestions on lures to use or depths or spots anything that could help would be great.

Thank You,
Kevin Kelly

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Nivekelly Wrote:

Hey, I live on the North Fork. Over the winter I got a wire line rod to try at Montauk. Does anyone have some suggestions on lures to use or depths or spots anything that could help would be great.[/B]

Hello Kevin,

There are many wire line lures you can use but the most popular are Parachutes (with pork rind strips), Umbrella rigs (tubes or plastics) and the reliable big fish catcher ? the Bunker spoons.
The Parachute jig is ?jigged? close to the bottom?. The Umbrella rigs is generally trolled around and supposed to imitate a ?school of bait?? And the bunker spoon is worked closely by the beach lines looking for the elusive cow.

Since you are planning to work the Montauk waters? Some of the productive spots are ?around? the Porgy Hump, North Rips and Great Eastern grounds. Although many of these spots are popular for ?chunkers?? It is very productive - but please respect their chunk slicks and give them plenty of room to work.

When the days are tough? Wire line fishing can save the day! Good Luck!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Capt. Mike,

You are right... But I thought it would have been a good idea to keep a few spots to ourselves.

Since we are disclosing spots... Just North of Frisbies, the entire stretch from Gurneys' - Cottage Point is also very productive for wire line fishing. :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Alberto,
You know my favorite fluke spot. I've caught more than a couple of stripers there on fluke rigs!

Nivekelly,
You're going to need a chart of the area anyway, Buy one of the laminated ones they sell in all the tackle shops out there, all of the spots we mentioned are marked.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
Alberto, You know my favorite fluke spot. I've caught more than a couple of stripers there on fluke rigs!

Nivekelly,
You're going to need a chart of the area anyway, Buy one of the laminated ones they sell in all the tackle shops out there, all of the spots we mentioned are marked.

Hiya Capt. Mike,
Yes, that spot is very productive spot for doormats! ;)

Nivekelly,
The Chart we are reffering to is the SEGULL?S Sportfishing Chart Montauk and Gardiners Bay, Long Island, NY series. If you purchase the chart? All the names, holes, cuts is revealed.

As far as the Doormats SPOTS are concerned? (Depending on season, tide and water temp.) You could work the entire South side stretch of Montauk in the 30?-80? depths and you?ll be able to locate them.

Also ? If you are looking for quality fluke? in the springtime, the Orient Point stretch to Mattituck also hold big fish. When the season is near? it is VERY important to subscribing to the local publications to keep up with the local reports. You can also check in here if you have any questions.

Tight Lines!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Nivekelly,
Lets just say its on the south side ;)
You can catch some real nice fluke on the south side, from Turtle cove to the radar tower in 40-70 feet of water when they first arrive in May and when they are getting ready to leave in Sept.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Fishnut,

Well? If you are referring to surf fishing? the answer is NO. However, you will start seeing some weakfish (16? minimum size) around April , the stripers are also behind it but keep in mind that the season opens May 8 with a size limit of 28? minimum. During the month of May? things starts to shape up nicely.

Also, the flounder season is about to open (March 16) and those who are willing to fight the cold? inside the Montauk Lake (bay) is usually a great spot for flounder.

The codfishing is slow? the Mackerel are also just around the corner?

As for the Fluke regs.. DEC is about to release the new proposal... It should open around the first week of May and there is a possibility that it will be 17" limit.

Stay tuned? and when the bite is on? I will let everyone know. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

This message was edited by Crazy-Al on 3-6-02 @ 9:21 AM

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Al,
You should know that the flounder season in RI (block island waters) doesn't open until May and the RI DEP guys do, regularly, check the NY boats fishing over there. None of the regular Montauk guys will fish over there until the RI season opens. Besides, the run of snowshoes really doesn't start until mid-may anyhow. Best bet for flounder in Montauk at this time of year is to fish in the lake.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hi Mike,

You are correct pal. I need to rephrase that! I was so used to chasing codfish (in the old days) around this time and we would always stop by BI for a few snowshoes. Times have changed and now we have to watch the regulations very carefully! Thanks Mike! ;)

BTW: Send my regards to the family... When are you moving north (land of the Giant "T")?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Al,
Moving in the house sense or in the boat sense? :)
Moving houses will depend on when we sell the house in CT, Moving the boat will be sometime in the spring. I have a slip in the Pt.Judith salt pond, justy need to get the boat in and ready and make the run accros from Montauk.

===MakoMike===

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Al,
Moving in the house sense or in the boat sense? :)
Moving houses will depend on when we sell the house in CT, Moving the boat will be sometime in the spring. I have a slip in the Pt.Judith salt pond, justy need to get the boat in and ready and make the run accros from Montauk.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
282 Posts
the competition, the *********************, has a great article on wire lining for bass in this weeks magazine.as my father told my mother when she caught him checking out some nice
looking female,"Honey even when you are on a diet you can still read the menu"
sorry noreast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.