NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help in choosing a winter flounder rod. I'm looking for a production model conventional 6'6" graphite rod which is really sensitive. It will be used in 20ft. of water with 3oz. of lead. I will be fishing from a private boat. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hello SDonner,
You are in luck because there are many brands out there that will meet those criteria.

Depending on your budget... You have Loomis, Lamiglas, StCroix, Shimano or Penn.

You may also want to look at the freshwater department (bass rods) because they will also meet your requirements and it's generally less expensive. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If you're looking for a very inexpensive rod that will fit the bill for flounder I'd suggest the Penn Mariner. In stores they go for around $30, but I've seen them alot cheaper on E-bay. I use one as a backup for flounder and fluke. The one I use is a 7' conventional model and it is sensitive and strong...I've caught a few rogue stripers even on it.
Of course if you're looking for a more expensive rod, I'd suggest checking out the St.Croix or G.Loomis rods.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi sdonner.

Why not take the reel you will use and go to a tackle shop near you. Check out the rods. The ones you like, install your reel on the rod, run the line thru the guides and attach a 2 or 3 oz sinker. Let the sinker sit on the drck. Lift the rod tip and see how it feels. This should narrow the choices.

If you need a tackle shop to go to, try J&H on Sunrise Hwy in Oakdale. I say that because of the hundreds of rods they have in stock and that is to your advantage.

I like these companies factory rods, Lamiglas, Seeker, Diawa Sealionand Shakespeare.

Happy shopping.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
Using a 6 foot (at least I think it's 6 foot)Shakspear Ugly Stick Tiger baitcasting rod with a Shimono Corsia baitcasting reel. Works well on fluke, flounder, blackfish, bass, blues & shark (yes - I did manage to hook a couple of sharks that were swiming around the boat - not that I had any of them on for long).

Fairly inexpensive set-up - around $150 for both rod & reel. Stick is pretty sensitive & let's you know you've got the bottom feeders on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.