NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Crazy:

We may be in the middle of winter, but I have not ceased my quest to find Stripers. I've been fishing a local powerplant in CT. and have caught some adequate sized Stripers (mid to high 20").

Other than the powerplant, I've been logging on to this sight for what seems a hundred times a day...The winter doldrums have set in. Can't wait for the spring run!!!!

Soundfisher

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bassturd666 wrote:
the AQUARIUM!

LOLOLOL? You are funny? but that's not a bad idea...Which aquarium do you recommend? :)

Huskers23 Wrote:
We may be in the middle of winter, but I have not ceased my quest to find Stripers. I've been fishing a local powerplant in CT. and have caught some adequate sized Stripers (mid to high 20"). ?

Hi Soundfisher,
Here on Long Island? we have a power plant too and it also holds some impressive bass! Just wondering, what are you using to catch those bass?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Alberto,

Getting ready for the shows. Trying to catch up on backed up rod repairs, LOL!!!! Building new rods.

AND trying to finish that 14 1/2' 2 handed Spey Rod you are waiting to test and catch BIG POPPA BASS!!!!!!

Capt Neil

Oh yeah, I an finishing a couple fun filled flounder rods for me to play with..

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have already cleaned and stripped the reels,fixed the rods,organized the tackle box. Now making leaders,sharpening knives,practicing GPS skills,and I'm still bored!, waiting for SPRING,especially with this spring weather in Jan.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Crazy:

In reply to your question regarding the fishing near the power plant....

Primarily, I've been using buck-tailed jigs. But to be honest with you, the action didn't pick up until I changed my strategy.

I live directly across the street from the Sound. Located there is a sandbar. So I've been digging up Tape, Blood, and Sand Worms.

The Tape Worms (for reasons unknown) have been especially effective.

Needless to say, I get a lot of strange looks from the regulars, who are all using some type of jigs (buck-tails, Fin-S, etc). But hey, it's working for me.

Take care,

Soundfisher

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I'm on pause mode. I was thinking about going to Conny, but someone came over and Blammmmo- half of my flyfishing gear was gone?! Hopefully, I'll get back a couple of flies. Crazy - keep your paws out of the black box that this X-person has, OK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Alberto, there are a few aquariums in CT that always have nice striper tanks. I go when it's cold out and stare at the tanks all day, then go to the skate petting zoo (yes there is such a thing). Norwalk aquarium. It's a long drive from Lindenhurst, but worth it. Nice shark specimens too.

Huskers, on the Housy...

White bucktail, 1/4-1/2 oz (anything heavier gets caught in the rocks), with small yellow porkrind worked slowly @ Devon works the best IMO, especially on warm days like we've been having.

Also, knowing and watching the locals VERY intimately, there are times when soft plastics work well too, particularly those that imitate baby rainbow trout (pink speckle sides with dark green back).

That's brackish water...don't forget you might bump into some big and stupid gizzard shad. They are attracted to small jigs with lots of glitter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bassturd:

You couldn't have hit it any better. Lighter jigs are the way to go. When I first started fishing the powerplant, I quickly realized the rocks will eat up your jigs very quickly.

As for the soft plastics, I can't argue that either. I've seen everything from worms to Fin-S catch fish Stripers there.

I know Stripers will eat just about anything, but any reason why I'm having a lot of success with the tape worms?

Thanks for the input.

Soundfisher

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.