NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of installing a windlass for my anchoring needs on my 21 foot boat.
Can anyone suggest a windlass that works well ? I prefer a Free Falling model instead of a power down model. I have read several complaints about the Simpson Lawrence Horizon 400 The complaints are that it breaks about every 3 times it is used, and you have to keep replacing some sort of part. I see that POWERWINCH makes a freefall windlass for a 25' Class boats. Boater's World has it for $399, plus you need a winch installation kit for $100. Anyone have information on the powerwinch models? Thank you I

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just finished installing the Horizon 500 on my 22 foot boat. I hope I did't make a mistake. I got for a good price, 550 clams. The freefall models are out of my leauge price wise.

Hopefully someone can post some good advice about windlasses. Free fall vs. powerdown & a good manufacturer. It's to late for me, holes are cut already, but I am very interested in some opinions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the Simpson Lawrence Horizon 400 on my 25' Grady for four years, it worked great. The key was to properly install it, you MUST have a minimum 12"-18" of vertical drop for the rode into your anchor rode locker, if not the rode will jam in the gypsy and cause all kinds of problems. Further, it is important that the correct rode is used, Simpson Lawrence sells a rode that can be purchased specifically for the their windlass with a chain spliced in, or any other "hard lay" three strand can be used, I used West Marine brand 1/2" nylon, and it worked well. I have since gotten rid of the Grady, and have installed the Simpson Lawrence Horizon 600 on the boat I currently have, it also works great, second season now.

This message was edited by joe2nyc on 3-2-02 @ 3:52 PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.