NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of installing a windlass for my anchoring needs on my 21 foot boat. Can anyone suggest a windlass that works well ? I prefer a Free Falling model instead of a power down model. I have read several complaints about the Simpson Lawrence Horizon 400. The compaints are that it breaks about every 3 times it is used, and you have to keep replacing some sort of part. I see that POWERWINCH makes a freefall windlass for a 25' Class boats.
Boater's World has it for $399, plus you need a winch installation kit for $100. Anyone have any
information on the Powerwinch modeld? Thanks

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
In my limited experience the powerwinch products work quite well. I have to ask why would you want to bother with a winch on a 21 ft boat? Danforth or sea spike style anchors don't disingage well without a pivoting pulpit extention, or unless you have a pulpit where the anchor is underslung. You really should use a plough style anchor with a good length of chain. you also need a fairly deep rope locker so the line can smoothly exit the hauser pipe with getting a hackle in it. I dont think many 21 ft. boats have adequate space for this. Also the amount of weight you are putting in the bow could have an adverse effect on the performance of the boat. Just my opinion for what its worth.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Brian,
In addition to what spygull said, it would be a lot easier and cheaper in a boat that size to just get yourself a ball and ring setup for pulling the anchor.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning on installing a Pivoting Bow Roller on the boat to be used with the windlass. I am a little concerned about the depth of my anchor locker. I am also concerned about water getting into the bow of the boat in rough seas. I do a lot of fishing by myself, and it is very difficult to pull up the anchor from 90 feet depths with the wind blowing 20 knots. I can't pull up the anchor with the engine and pull the rope at the same time. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Brian,
I purchased a Simpson Lawrence Freefall windlass last year for my 25' boat.It works great,especially by yourself.The only problem I've experienced was occassionally you get line twist.What I did was put a swivel between the anchor and the chain,it seemed to help alot.As far as Powerwinch goes,make sure you check if it takes up chain too.The proper way to set an anchor is with enough chain.Simpson sells a rope/chain package that has 15' of chain.If you look around your boat yard you will see alot of windlass' with only about 2 to 3' of chain,because most brands only can handle rope.Its one of the best things I installed on my boat.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

This message was edited by B.Attitude on 2-28-02 @ 4:43 PM

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's the average price for Powerwinch, I don't think you need the install kit for that price it's only wire,terms. ties etc. It wont take the chain, no big deal,use 8' of chain, the winch will have done 95% of the work. The anchor chain is supposed to have a swivel on it. What depth are you going to be in Remeber the rode 5-7X depth.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Brian,
With the ball and ring set up you don't have to hold the line to use the engine to pull than anchor. I can up anchor by myself in a snap, from any depth.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
134 Posts
MakoMike - Here is a challange for you - 350' of anchor line, 15K wind, 3-4'seas. Pull that in "in a snap" I've tried it 2 or 3 times a day in the ocean, Glad to have a windlass!

This message was edited by NANSEA11 on 2-28-02 @ 5:26 PM

·
Registered
744 Posts
NANSEA, I DO IT ALL THE TIME RIGHT THRU FEBRUARY, ON MY 20 FOOTER WITHOUT EVEN USING A BALL. IT PAYS TO HAVE STRONG FOREARMS AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

THANKS ALOT

·
Registered
134 Posts
Solta - Are you saying,i'm not strong, or don't know what I'm doing? Life is a lot easier,when you have power to help you. I hope you don't get a bad back, it will haunt you the rest of your life.

·
Registered
744 Posts
NANSEA, DIDNT MEAN TO IMPLY EITHER TO YOU. YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE SHOULDERS. YOU KNOW THEM DAYS WHEN THE WIND SHIFTS 30 DEGREES AND YOU ARE 20 FEET OFF THE PIECE YOU WANT TO FISH. SO FAR WHATEVER DONT KILL ME MAKES ME STRONGER.

THANKS ALOT

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I like it when I fish by myself because I can pick up and drop the anchor a dozen times or more a day looking for flounder or bass. I've done it for about 12 years without a windlass and I do have a bad back.When the wind is blowing or the tide is ripping,a 25 ft'er with a pilot house can be rough on anyone.I still say its one of the best things I bought for the boat.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just saw your message this am. I have a 22"Grady White and 3 seasons ago built a pulpit and installed a 400 Simson Lawrence windlass with a 14lb delta anchor with simpson lawrence rope and 15' chain rode. One of the best improvements I ever made. I also fish alone quite a bit and find anchoring and getting up the line no longer a hassle. I've never had a problem with the windlass itself, however, this year I will be installing new line and rode because the present line has caught a number of times in the windlass and has been chewed up pretty badly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.