NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are too many variables to answer my question in a few paragraphs, but generally speaking, what effect does wind play on surf casting?

For example - Montauk. Does a south wind push bait and fish towards the beach. Does a strong NW wind blow fish away from the ocean beach, so you would fish the north side, etc. Thank you for any input! Matt.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Wind question...

Hi OttoM....seems to me that aprt from the obvious effect (harder to cast into...easier to cast with), the wind can really help create good fishing conditions when it blows against the tide or current and stacks up the whitewater...not pleasant for the fisherman, maybe, but take Race Point on Cape Cod...you get a stiff SW wind with the tide running against it & you can do some business if you can get a lure out into it...I have a hookless old Reverse Atom that I use as a casting weight with a Red Gill teaser about 18 to 22 inches ahead of it...that may be a type of combination you'd want to give a try...

Jerry Vovcsko

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.