NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're building tunnels in NYC gain, I think they're building a tunnel so the LIRR can go to 42nd st.
How much bedrock will they remove in the process ? Where will they dump it ?
With the cod coming back, it would be nice if they dumped it about 20 miles offshore. They should make a giant reef in about 120 feet of water south of Jones Inlet. Then boats from Sheepshead bay,Debs,Jones and Fire Island can fish there. We need an offshore reef !
I wrote a letter to the DEC a while back and I suggested that they build an offshore reef. Steve Heinz, the DEC guy, wrote back that they were considering a reef offshore.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Deep water reef

Anyone else remember that talk several months ago about creating a reef about, if I recall correctly, 12-15 miles offshore, between Shinne**** & Moriches? I believe Newsday had an article on it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Artificial Reefs

What about Long Island Sound? THe DEC has done nothing in the sound since the Stony Brook reef in the late 1980's.

Last time I spoke with the DEC they never filed for new permits to build the reefs. The old permits have expired. We need to start putting some pressure on the DEC. The squeeky wheel gets the grease

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The local towns have to get involved

poorrichard wrote:
What about Long Island Sound? THe DEC has done nothing in the sound since the Stony Brook reef in the late 1980's.

Last time I spoke with the DEC they never filed for new permits to build the reefs. The old permits have expired. We need to start putting some pressure on the DEC. The squeeky wheel gets the grease

Towns like the town of hempstead have to get involved in reef building. The DEC won't do a thing if it cost anything.
In Florida, Dade county has a very active reef program. Dade county doesn't wait for the state of Florida to act, they do it themselves. It should be the same way here.
Sport fishing and scuba diving is big business in Nassau county and Suffolk but the local govt's do nothing to make it better. We buy fishing tackle,fuel, food,bait,boats etc. and we support local business and the gov't collects taxes from the sales but the gov't gives nothing back.
If 10,000 fishermen wrote a letter to their town supervisor asking the town to build a reef, do you think they'd listen ?
You don't even have to send a letter anymore, you can email the politicians.
Noreast.com should tell everyone to email their politician and ask for a reef to be built. Do you think the towns would listen ? Lets do it ! Keep putting pressure on them and they'll act.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.