NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. - opinions on this needed.

Since the tog run down there is developing into about the best in the past 6 seasons (based on my last three trips down there anyway), what do you guys think about the cold run-off from today's storm putting those big toggies off their feed?

If that happens, how long will it take them to get back in the groove? Will the bite return at all?

This is not intended only for ECNM and Togmaster, but any and all with input - I'm interested in what you have to say.

Either case, I intend to hit them again this weekend.

rgds, Leprechaun

· Registered
9,561 Posts
Lep - I'll give you the wishful thinking answer. No way. I'm going Saturday through Tuesday, and I don't want to think the fishing might be shut off due to the snow. It will be typical for me though, and I apologize to you guys for making plans this weekend, since it always seems to suck when I make plans. lol.

· Registered
925 Posts
I think you will be OK

Yesterday when I checked the water temp was above 51 deg. I don't think enough snow will melt today to drop it to much. I'm sure you'll wack them again. Depending on the wind and temp I might give it a shot. I'm not the "extreme" fisherman you are. Good Luck

· Registered
195 Posts
Wishful Thinkin'

Lep, I know I shouldn't do this....
(think that is) BUT here is my opinion:
The cold snap & run-off will drive the
Tog from their Fall spots in the Bays
and inshore pieces >>>> TO 17 !
LET THE 17 FEEDING FRENZY BEGIN !!!
( Im going , so it's probably wrong!)

· Registered
3,953 Posts
Don't panic lep!

Well Lep the snow we got is not enough to shut down the fish. the salinity takes much more to have a drastic change from just one snow storm! That would mean everytime it rains the fish shut down:( Don't think so dude! The water temps are way more important then the salinitiy! The fish are just starting to move off to 17 and I am glade you are having a banner year but tog fish has been excellent for the last 4 to 5 years. The best time is still to come when the water drops below 50 the fish will fill up before there winter rest. So don't waste your time thinking about it. Just go catch them up!!!!!:)

· Premium Member
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Salinity . . . . Hmmm, I didn't think of that

Tog-m - I didn't even consider a potential salinty change - I was thinking of the cold run-off.

Five semesters of Marine Bio and Oceanography and now you know why I ended up in sales.

We'll see about the fish tomorrow.

I agree, the past 6 seasons or so down there have been excellent, but THIS year is shaping up into something REALLY special.

rgds, Leprechaun

· Premium Member
10,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boat? What Boat You Ask?

My boat.

The beaten up, but not often beaten out, good ship "Leprechaun".

rgds, Lep

· Registered
2,371 Posts
The OCEAN EAGLE is fishing this Saturday, and with the SW winds forecasted, it should be a much warmer day then today!

Right now there are still blackfish in the 60 foot depths, and you can find them in good amounts in the 80 foot depths. This runoff will chill the water slightly, but their will be no big changes. When you start seeing water temps hovering in the low 40s, then i would worry about anymore runoff shutting the fishery down.

EC NEWELL MAN*

· Registered
12,251 Posts
Still tautog fishing is very good in 45 -55 ft in New Jersey shore. The best fishing is jet to come. No boat went out from Belmar, NJ today. My friend had to go on the Dauntless from Point Pleasant and had a pretty good tautog bites. I expect good fishing tomorrow.

· Registered
2,756 Posts
the Little run off that will occurr
in the areas that the temps are above 32 will have noeffect on sea temps.
99% fall in areas where now the temps stay at or below 32 so there is no melt
In the spring thaw is when you see the major run off
The sea temps are warm coupled with the ban on roller gear you be crushing the tog well into Feb.
There still warm water down at the canyon you go chunk few yellows and stop on the way back at 17 for a few togs it can't get better than that.

· Registered
1,548 Posts
Was out on the Sea Pigeon yesterday and they've been hitting the spots out at 17. Saturday they had a pick, but all were nice fish in the 6 to 10lb range. I had 7 fish from 4 to 7lbs on sunday...was tough out there with the gusty winds. We stayed out there for awhile then moved back inshore where the bite was still picky but not many keeper sized fish. Ling and some flounder rounded out the catch for those fishing clams.
I stuck with green crabs all day and had 5 of my bigger fish at 17. I was high hook and took the pool. Whole medium sized greenies seemed to be what they wanted.(Of course if I had white-leggers...) ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.