NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Actually, there are a few factors involved. The wobble plate (or lip), if there is one, and that can also be bent slightly to make the plug run shallower or deeper. The shape of the plug itself... also the speed/type of retrieve, slow, fast, side to side sweeps w/ the rod, herky jerky retrieve...and, finally, the way the plug is weighted plays a part...but you can change the nature of that "wobble" by the way you cast into or across a rip. The angle the plug travels through the current alters the action. As an example...the charter skippers who fish Sow & Pigs reef off Cuttyhunk would back down their bass boats and drop in big danny plugs on wire line. When the plugs were working correctly, there'd be a kind of thrumming action that you could feel...that's how they knew the plug was wobbling correctly...too shallow, too deep or wrong angle with the current (or a plug that wasn't "tuned" properly) and there'd be no hits. Get it working right and BIG bass would slam the plug. That's why it's important to test a plug by pulling it through the water to see if it has the proper action (or wobble)...

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ya got that Right Bubba........
I used Big wood Danny trolling swimmers Tuned By Me. They need it.......
Also Bob hans..... They use to split on me:)
Way to complicated Pick a plug and we talk Bout it.......
I was on a jointed plug thing, now im into Metal lip plugs for a little while

Plugs not drugs..

·
Registered
959 Posts
Bassmaster, every time I look at your stuff I feel like I'm watching an artist at work...can't help wondering what you'd be coming up with if you had turned your hand to guitar making... but I'm of a mind there'd be some bodacious mother-of-pearl inlay running right on up them fretboards...:)

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

·
Registered
268 Posts
That one was a rare bird to see all stock only had to do a rebias and re tube and do the filter caps on the supply...66 fender basman with tone to die for....
check this one out 65 showman, I went crazy on it.
running kt 66 and a mixed batch in the tone dept. bias conversion and over built filter caps.
then topped it off with orange drops.
Got Hendrix.
the blue strat is a complete rework pulled plate off and wired up a complete new one with all fender componants. fat 50s p/u's wired it as a mid 50s model with 5 way switch mod.
the thing thats sweet is 3 wires and the original guard is in. the sunburst in the middle is a charvelle I bourht new in 94, Its worth alot of doe now there is a 57 strat reissue all the way to left, I beat the crap outa it, owned it since new, Its worn in and have reworked the neck and all other kinds of stuff on it. looks like it is older than **** due to the abuse I put it through.
the 2 lespauls are basicly stock with a neck set up. paf's added. the studio screams and is fast, the 1960 reissue is set up for bending strings off the fret board for blues.
check out this vibroverb and tele, this axe has tone to die for. unreal neck, tight grain and i hand picked it out of about 50 of them and took it home and tore it apart and it has the texas special p/u's in it. nails that tele tone....
Plugs not drugs..

This message was edited by bassmaster on 12-15-01 @ 11:08 PM

·
Registered
959 Posts
Real fine axe there, BM...it's 2am and I'm too tired to hunt down my digital camera but tomorrow when I get a chance I'll post a couple of mine (acoustics though) a Gibson that I fool around with on occasion, & one built by a fella named Michael Gurian (from New Hampshire via Vermont)...plus a strap I made for the Gurian back when I was working for a gal who had a couple of leather "boutiques"...then I better get it back on track 'bout plugs afore folks start throwing stuff at us...

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

·
Registered
959 Posts
Big league tone, BM (not that you could tell from my playing, of course... :) ) but I got to hear a couple of guys who had serious chops wailing on it & you could most definitely hear a touch of that high, white sound...;)

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.