NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every fall I have to go to Great Kills for bunker. I am sick of great kills.

First you have the guys on the beach.. I think these guys are just trying to hit boats with sinkers.

Second you have tons and tons of sail boats morings.

Third everyone from Long Beach Island to GW bridge knows this place holds bunker.

Fourth the NY bass season doesn't start until after April 15. So I need to take these bunker back over to NJ.

Why do you have the largest population of bunker in Staten Italy? I guess its better then Earl. We would be shot trying to cast net around our war ships.

I have another questions?? Are their more bunker or humans in the world?

Eric W

This post edited by ericw 10:05 PM 12/28/2007

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
ericw wrote:
Why do you have the largest population of bunker in Staten Italy?
They hide there from all the ignorant ******** on the Joisey side of the bay.

I have another questions??
How common is inbreeding in New Jersey ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hungry Jack wrote

"They hide there from all the ignorant ******** on the Joisey side of the bay.

I have another questions??
How common is inbreeding in New Jersey ?"

Come on,

All last fall the commercial guys from Staten Island were in Keyport netting. Now I know that the "Joisey side of the bay" has it's fair share of ********. As a matter of fact I think that is where the tooth brush was invented, (anywhere else it would have been called a teeth brush)but did you ever take a look at the guys that do the bunker netting from Staten Island????

If that's not inbreeding I don't know what is.

This post edited by giantfan 07:06 AM 12/29/2007

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
maybe the lack of bunker on the Joisey side has something to do with those pound nets...... AFAIK - there are only two guys with the DEC permit for baitgathering on Staten maybe if all the NJ boaters that run to GK every morning actually stopped & looked a little in their own harbors, they might find some.

Every morning it looks like the invasion of the Jersey Fleet :rolleyes: I can barely get out of my own harbor

This post edited by NYBightEditor 08:54 AM 12/29/2007

·
Registered
503 Posts
NO POINT

No sence in arguing which side there on. Thats like saying the guys from NY shouldnt fish the shrewsbury rocks in June and July for bass since its in Jersey.

Your going fishing, correct? So you probably should be starting off with bait. If its in Great Kills I'm gonna be there, dont worry, nice and early before most people and I'll be out of everyones way after just one throw of the net.

Now the reason why they are on the NY side is they are protected by law. Once a school makes the mistake of crossing into Jersey they are fair game to the real hillbillies from down south.

The pound nets do account for a certain amount of bunker but in NY a school of bunker is getting wiped out a castnet at a time while over here there gone in one shot in a net half the size of a football field!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I agree NYBighteditor, I cant even get passed Crookes pt without having to navigate through a zillion boats. And the worst part is their etiquette is horrible, they race to a spot like its the only spot in the harbor holding bunker and barely miss your boat or just zoom rite near you and cause a huge wake in a no wake zone. Most of the time there are fights...over bunker :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I mean its getting ridiculous over there. Foley is right, I noticed when I got out there 5-530am not a soul is around and you can net your bunker without getting into a squabble with googins.

·
Registered
826 Posts
GOOD POINT FOLEY!

In that case no blackfishing now! that is on the joisey side.. Do not come south of the hudson for tuna either. That is not NY WATERS. It is internations but no NY WATERS.... You do not see many joisey boys like me running the atlantis..

Water is water.. No matter where you go.. dont call people renecks! i am a piney not a red neck.. there are no ******** in nj. just pineys and locals.

hahahah
:):):):):)

This post edited by Sportfishingusa 10:51 AM 12/31/2007

·
Registered
974 Posts
Pineys?!?!?! How am I from Jersey and have not heard that term before? Thats awesome.

Ericw's post to start this thread is one of the top 5 funniest posts I've seen. "I guess its better then Earl..." You got that right. Ever notice how the bunker schools are ALWAYS just inside the white buoys? LMFAO.

Anyways, cause I'm in the Christmas Spirit still and fixing to get the **** off the East Coast in the near future, I will tell you where the Bunker are!!!

From the very early season, like March, all the way up until July you can get 'em near where the Shrewsbury and Navesink meet, although sometimes you might need to travel up to the Oceanic to find them. Early in the year, the flats off Keansburg and Cliffwood Beach hold them, but you gotta go to the west of the pound nets off Belford. Atlantic Highlands marina holds em by the Seastreak docks until late June and is super consistent, just like Great Kills. There are tons of 'em back by the Outerbridge pretty much all spring, not to mention big bass underneath 'em. Just as you start rounding Staten Island near the church where that scene was shot in The Godfather, you should start looking for them. Keyport harbor also has a lot of them, but you gotta watch out for those sailboat moorings there, too. LOL.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Dare we continue this generosity and tell the good people where to liveline those bunker in early April for 30 lb stripers? LOL...

I mean... its not really a secret, is it?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well, yeah, everybody from Long Beach Island to the GWB knows that the rocks and pipeline off of the Highlands bridge holds stripers. ;)

But, you ever liveline any of those bunker right in the river by one of the 5 bridges? The two way in the back of the Navesink, namely the Oceanic Bridge and the Rt 35 Bridge, as well as the Gooseneck Bridge in the Shrewsbury start holding large stripers as soon as the water hits 45 back there, and 55 is magical. Nighttime is best. More fish than most people think overwinter in those rivers. Then the obvious bridges come alive in May... but those get a lot more hype.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spudders,

I live of the navesink.. and agree with you! Don't forget about rock point at night. Always holds bass. Also down in Red Bank on the middletown side in front of the manson that has the homing pigeons is a hot spot.

Eric

·
Registered
974 Posts
Geez, Rocky Point? We are some name-dropping fools... LOL.

How about this one... Middletown (north) end of the Oceanic Bridge, on the west side... last 2 hours of the incoming tide... You know the rips I'm talking about? Not enough water in there for most of the tide and then, BOOM, like a light switch the currents start swirling and everything... Lots of big weakies and nice stripers in there, actually do really well fly fishing there with grass shrimp patterns in the early summer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.