NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't you belong to a fishing organization such as NYSFF, CCANY, RFA and financially support them?????

These organizations speak up for fish conservation, fight for our share of the fish pie, environmental issues and the like.

I don't agree with everything these groups support but by and large they are l;ooking out for our interests.

As a fisherman how can you NOT support them????

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
898 Posts
Would you be able to post the web address for these organizations so that myself and others could obtain more info on them? I agree with your position that we should consider joining them.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
That is a good point Capt. Neil. I feel the same about the NRA. I look at it as though I need the one extreme to cancel out the other. I think you might have shamed me into it. Could anyone post any info on the organizations?

This message was edited by doughboy on 1-8-02 @ 6:12 PM

·
Registered
11,637 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
They are a little too anti-commercial for my taste, and some of their ideas, if made into law would put some members of my family out of business.Just my opinion. Thanks for another good post Capt. Neill LATER

·
Registered
457 Posts
The RFA is at:

http://www.savefish.com/

CCA New York is at:

http://www.ccany.org/

I respect bucktails' opinion, but I would add that the organizations representing the interests of the commercial sector are highly sophisticated, and are deeply entrenched in the political landscape. If some of them had their way, the only fish we ever saw would be the ones on the store shelves.

What is "fair" lies somewhere between the commercial guys going out of business, and the rest of us never catching another fish in our lives. Each side needs to be adequately represented when the regulations are made.

I believe that most recreational anglers & organizations realize the importance of the commercial sector. Hopefully, most commercial organizations recognize that the recreational community has an equal right to this public resource.

Respectfully,

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Steve.

I didn't have that info readily available.

The New York Sportfishing Federation reps usually have a booth at the Freeport show. They will be happy to sign you up.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
30 Posts
I joined the RFA a couple years ago. They keep you informed of upcoming meetings, hearings, and give addresses of senators and congressmen so you can let them know how you feel about new laws and restrictions effecting rec. anglers. It is well worth the money! If enough people did this, it would help even the playing field against the commercial lobbyists. steve

·
Registered
126 Posts
doughboy,
Sounds like a great idea. Not sure if fair to compare to compare to NRA. I use to belong to NRA, seemed like a good idea at the time. But NRA seemed to have given up on NYC. Did you see the requirements for a target (not premises) or carry-permit? Upstate NY is much easier and not sure if NRA was a factor. I'm sure that the statistics for licensed gun-owners in NYC or NYS is favorable but why does NYC suck so bad! Think its $300 every two years, are these guys for real? Offered NRA to use me as a case study, have them try to get their legal team together to obtain a carry - no response. They only want "easy" battles! How hard would it be to pass concealed carry legislation in Texas?!

Feels good to vent.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Well, you are hearing from one of the newest members of the NYSFF. I joined at the show. I got to talk to the CCA guy as well. I had to go with the NYSFF because they better represented my ideals. Thanks Capt. Neil, and it was nice to see you again.

topGUN,

I don't agree with a lot of the NRA's missions and I also wish they would concentrate on the stupid segregated handgun laws in NYS rather than protecting machine guns. My support for them comes from them being the only act in town that is fighting for my rights to have guns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.