NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if any of you guys have any opinions as to why the cod have started showing up again in our waters. I had heard that the commercial closures on Georges Banks plus a good spawning year a few years back is the cause of it but no confirmation. Also, I don't want to piss off any party/charter boat skippers out there, but doesn't it seem a little strange that the current regs in NY waters for cod are no creel limit, no closed season? I mean there are clearly many more fluke than cod in our waters and yet the fluke regs keep getting tighter while cod regs seem more or less wide open. I just worry that if the cod show up in any real numbers, the wrecks will just get picked clean and we'll be out of fish again in no time.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
If you sign up to be a Noreaster you will find an article that noreast just published on why the cod are making a comeback. IN ahort, its mostly due to the 2003 year class which is just starting to reach keeper size.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
ADK-
I think that the fact that we're seeing codfish again on the South Shore, and I don't think it can be denied that this is more than just a few stragglers here & there, despite NY's leinent cod regs just goes to show that the laws of Mother Nature carry far more weight than the laws of man. But, having said that, the way fishery "management" seems to work these days, once a certain species returns in numbers not seen in a long time, then the strict regs begin. If this codfishing holds up & improves, have no fear. In a few yrs, we'll probably have a 36" min size, a bag of 2, and an open season of about a month!!!

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
MakoMike-
I was typing out a reply when you made your post. That makes sense, since on every trip I've made so far, and going by the reports, most of the keepers are around the same size, with few larger fish. That's ok, though. I think those of us on L.I. should just count our blessings, and be thankful for this, some good news on the N.Y. saltwater fishing front, for a change!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
ADK...as MAKO MIKE stated, there happens to be a up to date article on the reasons why the 2003 doc class is now responsible for this great abundance of cod in our area.

But to answer your question you should read a few of the DOCK TALK articles in my forum which discuss the very issue you brought up, which is personal cod conservation along the south shore of Long Island to allow what is called the 'seed' fish which these are to spawn in this area and start to rebuild our own local cod stocks, which have been whipped out since the nineties.

I do agree there should be some type of protection of this year class, but it is more a balance of providing one winter fish for the recreational party and charter boat industry to fish for during the winter.

There is more to this issue then meets the eye, and a number of 'perfect storm' type of factors have taken place, one being a great abundance of bait in our area which has helped these fish remain off the south shore, instead of seeing them push through like they have done in the past.

I will talk about this in a upcoming DOCK TALK article which discusses the migration of these fish....they have a come a long way, and do need some protection from fishermen who still have the urge to kill everything they catch.

EC NEWELL MAN><

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Mike,

Just read you article, well done.

Not being a big codfish fisheries management expert, so forgive my ingnorance, but, what are the chances that we will overfish the 2003 year class, or at least put a big dent in that population, which will limit what could be a very important spawning biomass starting this year?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
bassman909 wrote:
Mike,

Just read you article, well done.

Not being a big codfish fisheries management expert, so forgive my ingnorance, but, what are the chances that we will overfish the 2003 year class, or at least put a big dent in that population, which will limit what could be a very important spawning biomass starting this year?

Define Overfish. :rolleyes: Yes we are catching them, but many of them are not yet the legal 22 inches. Those fish are the primary reason the size limit was raised to 24 inches in the gulf of Maine. Hopefully we will get a couple of spawns out of them (and the dogfish will miss the youngsters) before we whittle down the population. They will be caught or die of natural causes eventually, the hope is that, like what happened with striped bass, that this one good year class can form the basis of a complete recovery.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike -- is there a link you could post to your Noreast article on the return of the cod? Couldn't find it online. Maybe I have to pony up and become a paying member . . .

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
ADK wrote:
Mike -- is there a link you could post to your Noreast article on the return of the cod? Couldn't find it online. Maybe I have to pony up and become a paying member . . .

Yes, you have to be a "noreaster" to see the article.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
finding cod ?

kirk12 wrote:
I plan on being back on the water April 5th.. if I get a nice day any chance I could find some Cod 10 miles out of FI inlet??

I read about a boat catching cod 1 mile outside Debs inlet. and a group of guys out of Sheepshead bay caught some cod in 70 feet of water. Augies bait and tackle reported there were cod on the FI reef.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
thank you guys for the come back... Life is short. I have moved up my '08 season by a week March 29th. Give me a day of 2-3 footers and I will return with a COD. I set my expections low just hoping for 1

Can I catch them while I drift??? Can I jig for them??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.