NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've heard grumblings where guys are shut out of spots they've fished for years, so.... here's mine shut out story

Last year I would fish the South Street Seaport in Manhattan during lunch while at work. This year, the same spot I fished (North side facing the BK bridge) there is a big floating hospital there. Not sure if it was because of 9/11, but each time I go down there it looks like a homeless shelter.

It is frustrating with all the "good" weather we had that I couldn't get down there and catch a few fish and head back to work, rod and reel in hand, smelling like fish.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The Homeport (Navy Pier) in Stapleton was off-limits, as was Fort Wadsworth, for obvious reasons. I love fishing the Fort - not this year....

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
192 Posts
Lets see, there where/is/still five big closers that I can think of that put a damper on this fall.

1) NY harbor due to 9/11
2) Ft Wadsworth - 9/11
3) Floyd Bennett Field was closed for a few weeks after 9/11
4) Breezy Point for about a week due to the plane crash
5) NYC reservoirs, which according to the letter I just got from the DEP commisioner, is being re-evaluated by the DEP and Army Corp of Engineers. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. The Corp has done some pretty impressive public access work in the past, but they have also enviromentaly ruined a few fisheries in their time too.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
We used to snook fish the bridges that are all over South Florida and every one of them has a sign that says "NO FISHING", but nobody ever bothered us. Then this rookie Marine Patrol officer (a PETA member I guess), started hiding in the bushes around the bridges and issuing tickets to us on a regular basis. It was like being told that you can't practice your religion. Finally one night, a friend of mine found the Marine Patrol's car about 3 blocks from our favorite bridge. My friend had about a dozen mullet in the livewell that he wasn't going to be able to fish with, so he put them to good use. He climbed under the patrol car and inserted the mullet anywhere they would fit, with several close to the radiator. We never heard the outcome, but my friend said it was the best night of fishing he ever had.

Gamakatsu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.