1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a troll
nor is it an excuse to bash any board or Mod

So please Mods if it goes that way Delete it as fast a possible

I know what I like on a board and what I do not.

I know which Mod persona and which sceen personas I like and dislike

I never confuse a screen persona either mod or member with that person
I find that the screen persona is almost always different
any comment here or else wher are always based on the screen persona never the actual person unless I have really meet them

And will post my views ............... later

Im curious as to which Board styles and mod styles other Nor easters like and dislike

We have the well structured boards where Mods controll most every aspect

the free style boards

we have mods that are informative
controlling
easy going

and many other style of mad and board

So please lets hear it without attacks or slanders or nastyness

what do you guys like or dislike in a board or mod

I have seen you post and write so I know most are capable of a well thought out response without getting rude or nasty

I really wanted to post this on the general board to get a broader view but
that really wasnt the place for it
So here it is
Lets keep it light and fun

·
Registered
793 Posts
For what its worth this is just my .02, but I really enjoy the offshore board the most. The members who post in the offshore board seem to be a different breed as far as members go. What they post in there is informative info and always help one another out, they don't just post so they can watch there post count go up. You never see any pi$$ing contest in there either. The guys in there are tight knit enough that we even have are own shark/tuna report sticky which is a great idea, as I said they help each other out. The other board that I enjoy is in the wheel house. I enjoy reading Steve's articles and I respect a fellow that can call a spade a spade, and that also lets the members air out their laudry also. After all we do live in America and we do have freedom of speech. I think!

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
oh board...........

I thought the subject concerned what kind of broad I like
:)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Tony,

I personally prefer boards where I can laugh, trade stories, and give and recieve advice. I was a partyboat guy for a long time, so I tend to gravitate there alot, but I'll check most of the boards to see what's going on. I just need to remind myself from time to time that this is:

a) Supposed to be fun.
b) Never personal.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Having Moderated, I'm gonna give an answer TOny was not looking for.

The general posters on a particular board will dictate the type of Moderation a board NEEDS. When I Mod'd, I prefered to let things run their course, and give people the benefit of teh doubt that tehy wouldnt' do stupid things and force teh Moderator Tools to be broken out. ALmost every time I was burned, so I had to become proactive rather than wait...1 James Joseph thread adn one Viking thread were the last straw for Mr. Nice 40.

Personally, I hate the way the Lounge is run. Mako Mike is teh quickest to edit/delete/Moderate anything he feels is close to violating the rules. However, if you look back on what MM has had to endure in the Lounge, you really cannot blame him. I still disagree with some of the things he does, and I'm not afraid to tell him, but I do have to respect his decisions, which I do my best to do more often than not.

Probably the worst Moderated board was the Charter forum prior to teh current Moderation TEam.

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
I admire sites with decency standards that restrict obscene language and images (that's fine in private e-mails, but not on an upstanding public site).

I like Forums with interesting/humorous topics that are relevant to me.

I like Mods who enforce rules evenly and aren't afraid to ice a thread as soon as it starts to de-rail in a hurtful way.

I like members whose online personality is the same as their real personality. The group I know best, the Pikers, tend to fit this mode, on-screen and off.

I also like members who intereract with other members in person (Noreast parties, rafts, PB outings, Noreast charter outings, private boat fishing, surfcasting, etc.).

I have no use for members who don't want to meet other members, preferring to remain anonymous behind user names.

This post edited by SORTIE 01:12 PM 01/03/2008

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
Tough ?

I started out on the surf fishing forum way back when. But now that I have met many people here I browse most all the forums.

The surf fishing forhum is still #1, people still help people and some fun is had there as well.
The freshwater one is great, I like helping out new guys to the sweetwater side, and it's moderator does great, very rarely having to use his mod-tools. And looking at spots people show pics of (lakes/ponds) is fun trying to figure out where it is.

Now on the other hand, I have been sucked into the lounge and can't get out.
Most times it's a fun place, but the mods there have there hands full at times. I would think they have it the hardest of all threads.

I may have lost track here, but thats my 2 pennies worth.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
1. Boating angler! Just when you thought you knew it all someone offers great advice. Every once in a while you're able to help someone out too!

2. Offshore! (same explanation lol)

Skip...I'd love to meet and fish with other members here too but sometimes its just not geographically possible.
But to say you have "no use" for members that chose not to hang out in person...I dont know about that. Plenty of guys have helped me out and I dont even know their real names.

This post edited by BLUEFISH9 01:58 PM 01/03/2008

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
BLUEFISH9 wrote:
1. Boating angler! Just when you thought you knew it all someone offers great advice. Every once in a while you're able to help someone out too!

2. Offshore! (same explanation lol)

Skip...I'd love to meet and fish with other members here too but sometimes its just not geographically possible.Queens ain't that far away, BF...only members like Ahiman, AZFishKiller, OldMud and TwoFinBluna have legitimate distance problems.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
surf fishing forum, but I think surf rats are a breed apart, most actually seem to get along and I've met a ton of guys from that thread that are willing to share and teach.. I'd like to see a no holds barred free-for-all forum..

Come on now HJ with those lego guys how funny was that?

The thing that gets to me the most is guys pretending to be all that and the toughest and take a smash mouth approach definately a turn-off. Oh no you burned MY spot blah blah getting old...

·
Registered
912 Posts
I like the boards that offer fishing info the most. Inshore w/Lep. Wheelhouse with Steve and Mike. Offshore, surf, partyboat. Some days there are great reads on those boards, some days not. The lounge can be very entertaining, but usually I'm here for fishing.
So far as the moderators go, WHO REALLY CARES? Several of these guys write some great stories, packed with info, for no money, and apparently very little respect. Some of them tend to shut people down quicker than others, but there are 3 or 4 members on this board who, need supervision. I find that if you mind your P's and Q's around here, you'll seldom even come into contact with a moderator.
The site is what you make of it. Just my 2 cents.;)

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
OK, what do I like in a board and in a mod....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where do I start......

No, don't worry, I won't make this post a novel.......

The boards I frequent and the reasons are:

The Anglers Lounge...
.......because it's a place to go and just shoot the crap, wether it be about fishing or needlepointing it doesn't matter. The people in the Lounge, The Lounge Lizards are some of the best people on this site. There are ball busters and the serious posters, and both often have great information and advice on whatever it is you need. And the Lounge is a place you can go to just to read and laugh and learn.

I enjoy most of the other forums as well, The Boaters Forum, The General Fishing Forum, LIS Fishing, Charters, Do It Yourself Lure Building and so on. There are also some boards I have never posted in because I either don't have the knowledge or the interest.

The Mods................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.Uh Oh..................am I gonna get in trouble now:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Mods here have a tough job and do a great job.

There are some I've noticed who at the first little sign of controversy....hop in and slam on the brakes.:rolleyes:
I think they are a bit on edge and need to relax a bit, but it's their board and if I don't like the way they run it...........I don't post in it. No problem there.

There are a couple mods that run on and on and seem like they post more in their boards than the members. Again, I find many of their posts very informative and simply read and move on. No problems there.

Then we have mods who are a little more relaxed and let things go a bit hoping they run their course..............and most often they do.

There are mods who we all question some of their tactics from time to time, and maybe don't agree with, but until we've been on their end of things we haven't got a clue what they go through.:rolleyes: Think about it...........in the course of a day, I can't even think of how many threads are started and how many posts are made.................that mods have to go through.........who has that kind of time to dedicate to it.:confused::rolleyes:.....yet they do it and put up with all kinds of crap from us............yea,............US.

I do think though, that MakoMike probably has the toughest job of all the mods trying to keep the Lounge running...............and he does it alone.
:rolleyes:...who else would put up with the chit we put him through.:rolleyes: If it wasn't for Mike, we wouldn't have the Lounge or a place to go vent once in a while....................OK To VENT Daily

I do think though, that noreast does need to have an Adult Section where almost anything goes.
A place where you can go and beat the crap out of each other, voice your opinions on anything, uncensored, get it over with and then go back to the regular threads with nothing on your chest.

OK, that wasn't so bad was it..........LOL
;)

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Yup Mike has the toughest board to moderate but he doesnt do it 100% alone...

Most mods can edit and help out in all boards and if Mike needs help, other mods do help him but Mike is usually on top of things and has his board run to perfection...

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

Some got it some did not

its not which board you like Its
how do you like your boards run

not that im not interested in the boards you like thats interesting as well

Im mor interested in which style board you like

more like sorties response or billys

I have types of fishing i like as well and boards that cater to my style
there are also boards I avoid not due to content but moderatorship
as this dwindels down i will elaborate

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
There are several boards that are allowed to run there coarse. They just seem to flow. They contain posts that are right on topic and posts that stray a little, yet they always seam to maintain a foward direction. These boards contain the ideas, opinions, and experiences of members. That's what a forum is supposed to be about. People sharing. Whether the replies are PC or not, as long as they are in the best interest of the topic they become more interesting to read. That's the type of forum I like to be involved with.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lattitudechange wrote:
There are several boards that are allowed to run there coarse. They just seem to flow. They contain posts that are right on topic and posts that stray a little, yet they always seam to maintain a foward direction. These boards contain the ideas, opinions, and experiences of members. That's what a forum is supposed to be about. People sharing. Whether the replies are PC or not, as long as they are in the best interest of the topic they become more interesting to read. That's the type of forum I like to be involved with.

oh well thanks latti

You saved me so much typing
and the underlined parts the best

The members are the site the site is about the members

Im going to stop now cause anything else I seem to type just sounds mean and thats not what this is about

I really like reading post and threads written by members
not real into the "professional writers"
crap I can read an article anywhere

Also not into the whole its my board thing

Sorry guys its not yours Its Nor east board an while nor east media and George set the rules You just watch over it

its just like on the boat the crews there for the customer not the other way around

Well the weather broke and Fishing is back in full swing
With any luck I wont have time for another long thread for a while

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.