NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
I use alot of st. croix they are great rods and they have many different pricing tiers to suit everyones needs. If I had to pick one rod/reel to do both types of fishing I would say and avid series st croix 7' med or med-light with a team diawa tierra or an okuma vsystem reel...you have alot of options

· Banned
1,807 Posts
lack of information

Without more details it's impossible to answer your question. First of all when were talking trout fishing are we talking about fishing streams/Lakes/or reserviors? Different types of waters require different types of equipment.
As far as bass fishing is concerned do you want to go with spinning or baitcasting. The rod that JMILLER mentions is a good all around choice for many situations but if i were using it for bass i would want a med-heavy action which would be overkill for most if not all trout situations. ALSO, it depends upon what you are fishing with, meaning Artificials vs Live bait. Bottom line is we need more info if we are to steer you in the right direction.

· Registered
536 Posts
Agreed on the need for more information.

Assuming you're talking about a rod reel combo suitable for both bass and trout I would say stay on the light side. 6' spinning rod by Cabella's or BassPro keeps it simple. Should be rated for lures as low as 1/16 and lines of 8lb. Load with 8lb mono if you think you're fishing more for bass, 6lb if you think you'll be doing more trout. Spinning reels...I like Quantum in terms of value. I think good quality for the price. Anything Shimano is good. I would stay away from Shakespeare. I've also had trouble with a Pflueger and one from BassPro, so I don't buy those anymore, but I think they may be okay now. Pflug in particular has stepped it up in recent years, but I haven't fished them.

· Registered
536 Posts
That helps a little. There's still other factors, like using bait more or lures. I think the recommendation I gave is good. Here's the thing...If you're doing streams for rainbow trout, that's a light rig. I use 2lb Vanish fluorocarbon because it's invisible underwater and with an ultralight outfit I can throw the tiniest of lures. It's perfect for this. I would not, however, be easy to bring a bass in on it. For that, you need a rod with a little more backbone and some stronger line. This will allow you to throw a typical 3/8 oz spinnerbait or a shiner with a hook in it's back and pull in they typical 1-3lb bass that's common here. ...but you can't throw tiny trout stuff. If you can only get one outfit, you've gotta split the difference and go right down the middle with something that can do a littl of both okay, but not great at either one. If you're totally new, go cheap. You can get combo rod/reel for $30. Get an ultralight and a bass outfit. For $60 you can have best of both worlds. I typically go out with a least three rods everytime: Ultralight spinning, medium spinning, baitcaster. This allows me to throw everything from the lighest offering to perch, to monster spinnerbaits to tempt big bass.

· Banned
1,807 Posts
you opened up another whole issue completely

Spend a lot of time trout fishing. The tackle that i use in streams is completely different than what i use on lakes and reserviors. When fishing streams i use UL tackle. Nothing heavier than 4 lb test, light spinning reel and 5 1/2 ft UL rod (fenwick). With this setup i have landed many trout up to 12+ lbs in streams. When fishing in lakes and reserviors for trout i up my equip to longer spinning rods (6 1/2-7 ft), reels with more line capacity and 6-8 lb test line. I think that MaxKatt1 and i are pretty much of the same mind on this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.