NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Al...Most of my catches in the springs past are usally on worms or clam. Never had much luck plugging in the spring. I'm taking a weeks vacation in May and would like to hit mostly back bay areas on the south shore. What plugs /tins would you recomend to increase my chances. Also,love this new format....gonna have to post more. ;)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
broncorick wrote:
…Most of my catches in the springs past are usally on worms or clam. Never had much luck plugging in the spring. I'm taking a weeks vacation in May and would like to hit mostly back bay areas on the south shore. What plugs /tins would you recomend to increase my chances…

That's an excellent time to take a break and here is why!
The big Stripers are in …
The big tiderunners (spawners) will journey the marshes and flats…
The doormat fluke should be roaming the deep pockets…
The blues will be harassing everything that swims…
The blackfish will be close to shore spawning…

Since you are planning to use lures around the South Shores…
Here is the scoop! Depends what you are targeting and the depth you are fishing… You can't go wrong with a small bucktail tipped with a strip of squid! With the "squid" strip… you will be able to catch weakfish, fluke, stripers and the feisty bluefish. Simply work it slowly and cast around pocket, cuts, drops, rips, ledges, jetties, marshes etc… and you should do just fine!

Also, your best bets is to fish first light and to fish quietly (fish are easily spooked)! You can also use 5" & 7" swimming plug working the mid / top surface… and if the weather is right (calm), a popper can't be beat near the shallow waters!

As the day progresses… you should stick to the bucktail or switch to a tin like the Hopkin, Kastmaster or the Charlie Graves. Just remember to work every water column!

Another very important factor is to use all your senses and instincts… listen for splashes (fish ambushing prey)… look for signs of birds and fish breaking… sometimes you can even smell bait (bunker) being chased / chopped by big fish…

May is also one of my favorite time to fish… ;)

Hope this helps!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that great reply Al. I think I'll copy that and stick it on my dashboard! I'll be off May 10th thru the 19th and I really think things should be popping by then.I love fishing in May. Sept/Oct is not too shabby either ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.