NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which knot I should use,

I was going to put about 50 yards of 30lb mono just so the braid sticks followed by 300 yards of 50lb braid and then about 25ft of 50lb fluorocarbon leader. The only knot I know of to connect line to line is the blood knot, however I dont think it is supposed to be used unless both lines are the same diameter. The braid is much thinner than the mono and fluorocarbon.

BTW it is a Chaos rod 40-60lb braid class, 15-40lb mono, with a Penn International Torque 200 reel.

This is my first time trying out the braid, Is line to line the best connection, or should I maybe use a ring or swivel? I dont want to lose any fish due to weak knots.

Any replies are appreciated.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just did a practice knot, tried out the uni to uni splice, seems like a good strong knot. Thanks Gaucho. Anybody use those rings instead?

Nanbayfluker--Ill try out the albright knot too, just have to look it up first.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Different braids are stronger using different knots but the most commonly accepted for strength;

Mono to braid-

No-name AKA yucatan AKA Bristol- No question

Braid to leader

Start with a 12 turn bimini to double the line and than a 10 turn Bristol AKA Yucatan AKA No name.

This is what many of the record chasers use and line tests have proved to be optimal.

Line to leader direct vs. swivel is a preference. I like a swivel if I have to worry about the line twisting. Jigging or sinker rigs that may cause the line to twirl and put tork in the line should have a swivel. If your casting or trolling lip lures and bucktail type jigs that remain upright I prefer the direct method.

If you do use a swivel tie it after the bimini using a double palmar twice through. Then tie your leader using an Improved clinch. It seems Fluro ties stronger using Improved Clinch.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ihavegills wrote:
No-name AKA yucatan AKA Bristol- No question

Braid to leader

Start with a 12 turn bimini to double the line and than a 10 turn Bristol AKA Yucatan AKA No name.

Totally agree, although cinching down a 10-turn bristol can be really tough. I usually do 6 or 7, tying 50lb braid to 50lbs mono. Be sure to cinch it up smoothly! Great two-knot system that takes all of a minute to tie once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
uni-to-uni seem's to be the best,its easy and is plenty strong,tieing a bimini,or anything like it on a pitching,heaving boat in rough seas can test your patience,especially since i dont know how to tie one.
i used to just put a spro power swivel in between but i have to use longer flouorocarbon leaders due to longer fish,someone grabbed my spinner after spotting a cobia,casted a jig to it,didnt hook up,reeled it back in at warp speed and knocked out one of my guides with the swivel,no more swivels for that application. uni-to-uni.

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
I first tried the Albright and maybe I was doing it wrong but it kept slipping. I did 25-30 wraps. I have tied this in the past with no problems but never mono to braid. I then tied the splice and it held like a charm, and I did try to pull it apart and couldnt.

Glad it work for you too

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive been practicing some knots and the simplest seems to be the uni. Pulled on it as hard as I could and it would not break. The uni is simple to remember too.
Im going to keep practicing the other ones you mention, such as the albright knot and Bristol, I have all winter to master them.
Thanks for all your responses you have been very helpful.

Rob

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I have been doing it for a while and I got the albright knot down good and the uni to uni splice.
The Albright knot seems very strong but it surprises/scares me that the the mono is not tied at all it is just folded over with the braided line squezzing it, I cant believe the mono doesnt slip out.

So I tied the line to the door and did a break test, 5ft of 40lb mono tied to 50lb braid, tied it around the door handle with a clinch knot and pulled. Tried it twice once with a albright and one with a uni to uni splice. The line broke and both knots held so I guess they would both be sufficient. I did the test a few times and if you did not add any spit to the uni it would slip. So I guess that would be an important thing to add to this post. Plenty of spit on the knot.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I was told that if you are going to use a blood knot to double the braid over itself,but thats a pain in the arse.I go with a very small barrel swivel that goes through the guides nice and tie a uni to each side.This way when the leader gets short I just cut it off and tie a new leader.SIMPLE!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
for the mono backing to leader i tie an albright...and then from braid to leader i tie uni to uni with a drop of crazy glue....if im using a swivel i tie a double palamor on the braid and just an improved clinch on the leader....but that knot has failed me a couple of times....i should upgrade soon...

This post edited by toyotaoffroad91 04:23 PM 01/22/2008

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
uni to uni is a good knot for braid to mono, I've used it alot and never had a problem. however, I prefer the albright because it goes through the first guide so smoothly. It has an thiner diamiter and because the bite in the mono is the first part of the knot to hit the guide it slides through perfect.

I don't think there's a wrong answer between these knots. can't speak for the bristol. Never tried it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.