NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would Love to fish from a Kayak ,But I do need some help .What unit would I get to fish the south shore of LI and Montauk.There are so many to choose from.Would one kayak be used for both places?Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
it is overwhelming when looking at all those kayaks out there, and I love when people tell you just paddle as many kayaks till you find one you like, well that just does not work. You dont know what is good because you dont know what you will doing with it and where you be fishing. there are many factors to choosing a kayak for fishing. Just dont walk into a kayak shop and have some guy who has never fished off a kayak sell what he thinks is right for you.

A)what is you size and weight? different yaks are made for differnt body types.
B)Where will fish and do you need more speed? if you are going to fish places that are a 5 minute paddle away you dont need a very fast boat.
YOu also have to consider if you can get a heavy kayak up on you vehicle. Also if you are going to be going through the surf you will need a sit-on-top not a sit it.
email me and I will help you find somebody who can get you into a kayak fishing specific kayak if you like [email protected]

·
Registered
315 Posts
As Joey stated more sepcifics would be good but for Montauk more guys are fishing Cobra FnDs than anything else. The reason is because they handle the rough water well. The FnD is 36" wide and very stable. Its a tuff kayak to dump and has lots of storage. We call them the aircraft carrier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.