NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what are a couple of really good fishing lines. I fish off of staten island so the water isn't exactly clear.

What would be good line for fluke?

What would be good line for Blues/Stripers??

thanx matt

· Premium Member
11,904 Posts
Matt,

I predominately use braided line. Fireline for spinning and Power Pro for conventional. I also attach a three foot flouro leader to it. 14 to 20 pound test should be sufficent for most applications. Look through some of the other discussions and forums for braid and mono topics (there are plenty of them) to decide for yourself.

So, which reel did you decide to go with?

· Registered
5 Posts
For fishing off the bottom I use Trilene Big Game. For pluggin this season I switched from Trilene Big Game Inshore to Whipelash braid. Starting out I suggest going with big game, braid is no good for fishing on the bottom.

· Registered
2,401 Posts
AnthonyN wrote:
...Starting out I suggest going with big game, braid is no good for fishing on the bottom.

Hello Anthony,
I may not agree with you... Just wondering... what kind of bottom species do you target?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
5 Posts
STRIPERS! Also I hook onto a blue now and than. I am thinking of switching to braid for tog it may help with "nibble detection" and I will be able to lock down the drag and horse them up! Think they would be good? or should I stick with 30lb mono for tog?

I live in the rock state so the rocks aren't very kind to braid besides that I like my line to strech while using bait.

· Registered
10 Posts
AnthonyN wrote:
...Starting out I suggest going with big game, braid is no good for fishing on the bottom.

anthony
i'm mostly a surf rat that uses power pro but when i do bottom fish this stuff stops the biggest blacks dead in their tracks. you can sence the slightest nibble and set the hook in deep water with very little effort

FISH ON !
<*),}}}><

· Registered
11,581 Posts
Matt,

I've used pink Ande for years and done well.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

· Registered
15 Posts
Matt17,
I'm a Staten Islander myself and I''ve never had any problems with Trilene Big Game 18-20 pd test..but Trilene came out with this new "Inshore" line which I used last season and I liked.I may switch my plug rod to it this year.

Good Luck,
StriperSniper

· Registered
15 Posts
Matt17,
I fish Great Kills all the time and I've done pretty well with Stripers(mostly at night)I usually head out to the point but it's been getting crowded there lately so I may be hitting my other spots more often this season.

Cheers,
StriperSniper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.