NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any eels for sale, it appears that most bait and tackle stores are no longer stocking. Checked from Shinne**** to Montauk to no avail. Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike..no eels in Montauk, checked to Altenkirk.
Put my eel trap in the bay, mabey some luck.

I was out yesturday, small fish on the troll, parchute rigs. The big fish are looking for live bait.

·
Registered
41 Posts
HEY CAPT,THERE IS A GUY IN ISLIP ON MOTAUK HWY.NEAR WHIT CAP FISH STORE THAT SELL ELLS BUY THE LB. AND SUPPLYS ALL OF LONG ISLAND,HIS NAME IS SLOUPE AND HIS SHOP IS BEHIND THE FISH STORE

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Hook,

If that's the shop I'm thinking of then he's been out of eels since November.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This post was in the last few weeks of the Striper season, note: Dec 07th.
None the less, this year I am making a different approach to the eel gig, no more planning my fishing trips around a tackle shop.
My goldfish tank will be a eel tank this year. And in November, Im going to stock up on the critters.
It is ashame, that the "industry" when slow just stops to supply bait. There to collect when the going is good, what happend to service?
Just a sidenote, someone did e-mail me to say that the small eels are in short supply because there are not many around anymore, mabey this will lead into this year 2002?. More money?.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree Rooster, I was actualy thinking of doing the same thing in an old 55 gal tank down in the basement with just an air pump and possibly a heater. Does anyone know how to catch or trap these slimy critters? I have heard of eel traps, but don't know anything about them.Also if I were to keep eels what do you feed them? Freeze dried krill from the pet store?Last question, will these things spawn in captivity?
Any opinions or advice?????????????????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.