NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Last year there was a lot of spring shad too.

I'd expect the large blues to come in June and push the shad.

Bass must be feeding well though! :)

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Shad...

Hey guys,
Last fall Fire Island inlet had loads of shad then too.I had a friend there that was fishing them for a while,loads of bass under them.I might give it a shot myself,something different to try.
paulie

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys, good point Jaiem on bass eating well!

it seems a little out of the norm the vast amount of these fish when I havent seen bunker { some peanut } or the big blues yet or even schools of ****tails, things will get interesting when those guys show up for the shad.
There are bass under those shad though thats one thing I can tell you forsure, learned that yesterday.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Last year on the North shore the schools of Shad seemed to avoid the larger blues by mixing in with schools of ****tail blues until the water temps began to rise.

At one point, while working a school of fish that were feeding on sand eels, every other fish was a Shad, not a Blue. I even picked up a few on fluke rigs. I wonder if their increase in numbers is a sign of improved water quality. Then again, maybe they were a commercial bycatch that has benefited from one of the changes in commercial regulations over the past ten years.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I was wondering the same this about the massive amount of shad. I remember seeing a few last spring and fall, but prior to that, I don't recall seeing anything like this year. Maybe some of you guys that have been fishing around here for years can shed some light on this.
Has anyone tried livelining these fish this year. With the size of these shad (I had on the other day that was probably 22"s), I gotta belive that would be a great way to get a cow.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I heard it's being done with great sucess

I was going to try the livelining thing in JI the other night but was doing ok with the bucktail & krocs.
Bassman, did you go out yesterday, last night.
I was out for a very short time earlier but cruised by inlet onto long creek on the way home, was a little kicked up ?
Alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.