NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dropping traps in 70-185 foot of water. Does anybody know where I can get time release buoys.

I have never had anybody mess with my traps ( I stay away from commercial guys favorite areas and place my traps on pieces that typically nobody is aware of and way off the beaten path.) but I have had some jagged cuts and missing line, leading me to believe that the line got wrapped in a prop.

LooneyTunes
Dave

This post edited by LooneyTunes 12:49 PM 02/04/2008

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all,

I found a couple of places that carry the time release. I don't understand why more people don't use them. It's a great way to prevent people from entering into temptation and prevent guys from finding your pieces.

LooneyTunes
Dave

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you buy them at around a buck a shot, fish, I assume your going to fish your 5 recreational pots twice a week for 20 weeks as singles, that's 100 pulls that's going to cost you an additional $100 for the TR's on top of what it cost to make those 40 runs.
How many lobsters you plan to catch and eat next season??
You commercial?? work maybe 800 pots on 20 pot trawls, thats 40 strings, 80 flags. Pull twice a week in season? So do 100 pulls x 80 flags=800 time [email protected] a buck each.
Duh.
Oh, BTW, what happens when you have say 3 day time releases and the weather dosn't cooperate and you can't get out with your recreational boat for say 7-8 days??:confused::confused:
Might as well toss you dollar bills in the bay my friend.
Cowkiller might be right about the legality of Tr's in NYS waters. It also stands to reason that with the new whale safe rules going into effect, having loops in your pot warp caused by the way Tr's are used, is not going to be taken as a whale safe way to fish gear in federal waters.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Release

Lobster D is right on the money . Save your money and scratches on your boat, buy your Lobster at the market .
Ps, all traps must be indentified by a marker!Fishing blind is illegal !PSssss, time releases maybe inconsistent due to differing salinities at different locations. The Claw.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
claw1 wrote:

Ps, all traps must be indentified by a marker!Fishing blind is illegal !PSssss, time releases maybe inconsistent due to differing salinities at different locations.

But does the law say that the marker has to be above water at all times?

·
Registered
864 Posts
In all the sound,(area 6 is considered inshore,) you can lobster recreationaly, off the south shore there is a 3 mile limit to state waters,past that you need to be commerical with a fed permit.
The rules for both state and fed state pots and traps must be marked with float/flags with owners name and permit # clearly attached

Just a quick cut and paste for you from the DEC:

§44.2 Identification of gear used in taking of lobsters
Gear used in taking lobsters must be identified as follows:

(a) All lobster pots or traps, while in operation, must have attached to them a floating buoy or identification marker which must be constructed and placed as to be clearly visible on the surface of the water. Plastic containers, bottles or jugs originally designed to contain liquids must not be used as buoys or markers to identify the location of lobster pots or traps.

(b) Each buoy or marker attached to a lobster pot or trap must be of a distinctive color. The number, including any letters, assigned the holder of a lobster permit for the current year at the time he or she obtains a lobster permit must be painted or otherwise affixed on each buoy or marker in a contrasting color, or branded on each buoy or marker, in clearly visible characters not less than two inches in height. The same color or combination of colors must be used on all buoys or markers bearing the same permit number.

(c) The same number appearing on a buoy or marker shall also be marked or branded, in characters not less than three-fourths inch in height, on all pots or traps identified by that buoy or marker. If the construction of a pot or trap does not allow it to be marked by branding, that pot or trap shall be marked by a tag or other device bearing, in clearly visible and legible characters, the same number appearing on a buoy or marker used to identify that pot or trap. This tag or other device shall be of a material that is not deteriorated by sea water and shall be firmly attached to the pot or trap it identifies. A valid trap tag is an acceptable identifying marker as long as it contains the fishermen's New York State commercial lobster harvester's permit number.

(d) Lobster pots shall not be placed within 25 feet of designated navigation channels, and all floating buoys or identification markers and lines attached to such pots shall remain outside designated navigation channels at all times.

Notice in part A about the float must be clearly visible on the surface.

The west coast dosn't have these regs that's why the supply of Tr's comes from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.