NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow fishers,

I am just curious, how many local (NY fishers) and non-local readers do we have here?

Also, I would like to know what are your favorite species you like to target and why.

Thanks!

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Carzy Al,
Originally from Middle Village, Queens. Keep my boat in Broad Channeel/Jamaica Bay. Now live on Long Island but still keep the boat in J-Bay. The fishing J-Bay year round is pretty **** good!

love to catch:
1 - Cod (whenever! Wherever!)
2 - Blackfish
3 - Stripers
4 - Blues

Fatal Attraction

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I'm a Jersey guy...born and raised in Perth Amboy, NJ. Generally fish Raritan Bay with some forays to go after OPF.

My favorite species??? TOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOG!!!

Why? Cause I'm Tog-Crazy ;)

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Brooklyn originally, then Queens, Manhattan, and now Queens again.

I enjoy Fluke fishing during the day, Stripers at night.
Living on the North Shore, I also like BIG Blues.

I fish for Largemouth Bass during the doldrums.
They make a nice change of pace from Fluke.

I like to catch Weakfish, but I don't feel they are numerous enough to target specifically. Nice "by-catch" though.

Flounder

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
North Shore Long Island (Suffolk County - Smithtown Area). Favorite spot - wading in from the back of the Nissequogue River for stripers & pretty much anything else that's crazy enough to grab my line.

Few Canyon (for tuna), out of Freeport for shark on a friend's boat (Captain Bennie). Montauk trips at the end of the season to close it out.

One of my more memorable trips - Caracas, Le Guirda Banks - Venezuela for sailfish 2 years ago. Got some big, warm water Mai thrown in as a bonus.

Mostly a baitfisherman (eels) as that seems to work best in the river.

Go for trout & perch during the winter months. Would like to do more freshwater fishing but don't have the time.

Got say - you're doing a fine job. Interesting board.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, to be technical I'm from a hospital. Or so my mother claims.

Live in Lindenhurst, NY (Lung Ayland). About a block away from the South Bay Diner.

Fish everywhere.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Brooklyn

I fish for anything that swims. If its a fish, I like it. I'll go where ever I have too, to get my fix...

If its mean, nasty, has lots of teeth and pulls like you've snagged a truck on the freeway, I like it even more...

Pike
Muskie
Stripers
Tog

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Alberto,

I live in Northern NJ and shore fish the Raritan Bay to Sandy Hook, south through Seaside and Cape May while on Vacation. I also have been enjoying the S. Shore of LI these past 2 years. Managed to expand my range a bit this year w/ 2 trips to Montauk and one to Rhode Island.

I like to target Stripers, Blues & Weakfish for the hunt & the fight. Artificial lures are my favorite technique though I do some bait fishing in the spring.

This message was edited by NJSurf on 12-4-01 @ 1:31 PM

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I was born in NJ, grew up in FL, then Costa Rica for 4 years and I'm back in Jersey now. My favorite fish to catch and why I like them are:

Snook--A high adrenaline fish when fished close to the bridges of South Florida. We use 4/0 reels on a 9 foot telephone pole rod with LOCKED 80 pound test, fishing from the bridges. Needless to say, scraped knuckles and scuffed rod epoxy are quite common.

Snapper/Grouper--Proper bait presentation is a must to consistently catch these fish. At the top of the list are mutton snapper and black grouper, both of which can be quite cunning. The large mangrove snapper that frequent the docks of the Florida Keys have been called the smartest fish in the sea and are very difficult to trick, even with live bait.

King Mackeral--A smashing hit and screaming runs, a fight very similar to that of a wahoo. Chumming with live pilchards and then free lining the live pilchards on 12 or 15 pound spinning line is my favorite method.

Blackfish--No need to give details with all the tog hype lately.

Seabass--Lots of action and hands down the best eating fish in the sea. Great for kids too

Tarpon--Catching them on 80 pound test in Boca Grande Pass = BORING. Free lining live bait to them from the end of a fishing pier with a Penn 706 or Van Staal with 20 - 30 pound test is awesome. There is a 1 1/2 month run in Southeast Florida and the fish average 60 - 120 pounds. Where else can you catch gamefish like that from a pier?

Codfish--I don't know which fights harder, the jig or the fish, but still lots of fun and good eating too.

Fluke--What else is there to do on a hot summer day?

Maybe not in that order, but they are my favorites. I started out bottom fishing and after sampling much of the sportfishing world, I can honestly say that except for snook, tarpon and kingfish, I WOULD RATHER BE BOTTOM FISHING...

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Al.

A Long Islander all the way.

Put me on a boat and I'm happy catching whatever bites. Bout the only fishing i don't like to do is trolling, boring!! Jigging is the way to go. I like to feel the bite!

On the beach, like walking and casting. Rod in a sand spike, ugh!!.

Favorite is bucktailing for fluke, drifting for flounder, diamond jigging blues/bass, trying to outwit blackfish, and fast action on porgys, not to forget sea bass.

The only thing better is taking children fishing and watching them catch lots of fish.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Long Island, about the middle.

Weakfish - Because they hit like a freight train and require some finesse.

Stripers - Because they get big and acrobatic.

I also hit the sweet water in the spring for trout and will take a trip up to Lake Champlain for Small Mouth Bass and Pike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Crazy Al,

Im from staten island new york and I pretty much fished fresh water most of my life, chasing largemouth, smallmouth and pike. I recently traded in my bassboat for a center console and began fishing for saltwater species. My favorite so far has to be stripers. I love plugging these fish, reminds me of large mouth bass fishing. Nothing like seeing the water explode by your lure.I am still learing about fishing for other salt water species.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is great, I am learning more about you and I am finding out that we are from many places.

So far we have local (Long Islanders, one even from my town Lindenhurst, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island), NJ, NJ from Fla., Mass and even Rhode Island ?Atlantis :)

Come on fishers, I know you are out there?.
where are you from? ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Grew up in Bellmore, Nassau County,

Now I live in Manhattan and spend most of my summers in Southampton. Fall fishing is in Montauk and Nassau. I learned surf fishing from my father, began fishing with my "buddies" at age 12. Still fish with them regulary.

Thanks again for all the help you have provided Al.

·
Registered
498 Posts
West Babylon, I like fast cars and fast women, back home they call me The Cruiser.

I fish for weaks blues and Bass, Why?
I don't know why, why would someone get up in the middle of the night, to walk(I have to get a 4x4) along a deserted shore line and cast these little artificial fish into a gigantic body of water in hopes of catching a fish that I am only going to throw back anyway, I just don't know!!!! Solitude, satisfaction, frustration:?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Middle of LI, have started to get real serious about fishing last few years. I'll fish for anything that bites. Mostly
Bass
Blues
Fluke
just started going offshore this past season.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally North Carolina now Manhattan for the last 12 years.
I have my boat in Freeport and its my getaway to keep my sanity or so I tell the wife.
I love all fishing but mostly bass tuna fluke and the ocasional trip fishing with the boys away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well Al,Im sure im not the only the only one on this board to be from NH, but it looks like it.I fish the bottom for cod,pollack,and flounder for the great fillets. Strippers for the challenge of the hunt. Blues for the fight, and hopfully learn to find some bigger fish this spring with a little help from you and this board....
Mike M

·
Registered
96 Posts
Alberto,

I'm from Long Island originally and fished for fluke in the channels and back bays from a boat between the two Jones beach causeways as a kid (I had a boat at my grandparents house in Seaford). I stopped fishing when I went away to school, but got interested again over the past few years while vacationing and charter fishing on Martha's Vineyard. I currently live in Queens and make the trek to RM2, JB, and especially like fishing the mouth of the Nissequogue. This is the first year I have taken the sport so seriously and really love plugging for bass from the shore.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.