NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy,
Stripers work their way down from the hudson in the early spring & migrate east...They head along long island from west to east....You said in an earlier report to get the bass before the blues run them out.
1-where are the bass headed?
2-Why does the bass fishing pick up in june & in october again?
3-Where should we target bass during the summer months?(i fish port jeff/ stony brook)
4-why are there always bass in montauk?
5-should we fish shallow water in the early spring(when to water temp rises to 50 degrees), and deeper water in the summer months, when the surface water temp is high?
thanks again for all the help...i should be fishing by next week(on my boat)..so i will let you know the results...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Mikey413,
Wow… I could write an entire book by answering your questions… but I will limit down to the most obvious.

1-where are the bass headed?
Yes, the stripers migrates "EAST" of Long Island and heads "North" (cooler waters) to the Block Island, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and some parts of New Hampshire!

2-Why does the bass fishing pick up in June & in October again?
Good questions! June is the magical month where bass are just done spawning and in the hungry frenzy! October just the opposite and they fatten up for their long migration journeys (Hudson River / Chesapeake Bay).

3-Where should we target bass during the summer months?(i fish port jeff/ stony brook)
The best time to find your trophy bass during summer is the following… NIGHT! Work deep waters and under docks / Find big bait! You might also want to consider heading just east (North Fork / Orient Pt) for the elusive trophy!

4-why are there always bass in montauk?
The answer to that is simple… HABITAT (Rocky & deep structures with lots of bait)!

5-should we fish shallow water in the early spring(when to water temp rises to 50 degrees), and deeper water in the summer months, when the surface water temp is high?

Absolutely!!! 50 degrees is a good start! At that temperature, the fish will be active (feeding zone)! As the summer starts to creep along… the fish becomes lethargic and you need to work the deeper / cover / cooler pockets.

Hope this helps… ;)
So tell me… given these scenarios, if you are to fish with bait… what would you use and why?

Also, if you are to fish with lures… what would you use and why?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is a Crazy question....from a "Crazy" guy....if we could answer all of those questions, we would be Crazy Al..but...let's see
1. spring time-fish herring/bunker by livelining, or chumming...
-use jigs/plastics(small) to mimic the bait that is out there...baitfish have not had a chance to plump up yet, so stay small?
2. june(summer)-...Eels should work in areas w/structure....fish live bunker/& chum with bunker chunks. fish like you said earlier live bait(bergal,sea robin, bunker) through structure & dropoffs...Trolling shorelines w/bunkerspoons& shad/umbrella rigs to mimic schools of bait crusing the shorelines...I think fishing w/ big bombers or rapala type lures works well, since the bait fish have grown in size over the summer....
3- shallow water- use large bombers & rapalas to mimic larger baitfish that are feeding on the surface, or along shorelines....i don't know what bait to use.....
Question:
When do the bass spawn...i thought they spawn in the Hudson....if they are feeding like crazy in june after spawning...where do they spawn?...why do the fish head to the hudson in the winter..if that is what they do.....
Help!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.