NorEast Fishing Forum banner

where and how to mount a rod holder

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  JonSS 
#1 ·
Here's my take on mounting a rod holder for trollling, etc. Any other views? I use a Tite-Lok holder.

To waterproof the mounting holes, I use 3M 5200 sealant ($10 or so a tube at your favorite marine supplier) when I mount a new holder. I always add a large backing plate under the bolts, beneath the deck, and use washers also, to spread the load.

I think (though there are many, many opinions, some vehement) that the best place to mount a rod holder is just forward of your ****pit: just far enough forward that you can grab the rod out of the holder in a hurry, but not so close to your body that it interferes with your paddle stroke.

You can troll this way, and thus watch the rod tip for hits; also, the rod is always there at the ready for spincasting to a breaking school of stripers, blues, or bonito, of which on the Cape and elsewhere, where I fish, I am lucky enough to find many.

The Tite-Lok is not a permanent holder, just its base is. Which means I can take the holder off when I just feel like paddling.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
mounted rod holders

Hi Rosco,
I'll post a photo once I dig one up.

For drilling, I use a bit just a tiny bit smaller in diameter than the stainless bolts which mount the base plate to the deck. NO need for a jigsway: Tite-Lok holders mount using four bolts through the base plate (which rests on top of the deck.)

I think 3M 5200 is your best bet: it's not susceptible to UV rays nor heat, and can well take any beating saltwater can dishes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.