NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i gotta think it's going to be ripe soon. and the thought of walking to striper fishing is very appealing.

what's the status of their run? are they in the hudson now?

where would you go?
what would you use (what lures specifically?)

you come fishing with me, and i'll take you on a gourmet tour of chinatown.

like you know stripers, i know soup-dumplings!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
feltman wrote:
…what's the status of their run? are they in the hudson now?
where would you go? what would you use (what lures specifically?)
you come fishing with me, and i'll take you on a gourmet tour of chinatown.
like you know stripers, i know soup-dumplings!

Hi Feltman,
Did you know there are bass in the Hudson all year long?
I used to fish it regularly when I lived in Manhattan. In fact, during the mid 70's, that's where we did most of our striper tagging for the DEC (PCB's count)!

The place where I used to go is not a "safe" place anymore and I don't recommend it (lots of shady characters around).

If you really want to bend your rod… You can always fish around the South Street Seaport area (off-hours) or the Battery Park. You can't go wrong with ½ ounce bucktails or paddle tail plastics during the last two hours of either tide.

Oh… BTW - I am VERY familiar with Chinatown too. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Feltman and Alberto, I would like to also attend the Chinatown foodfest as I too am a Chinatown connoisseur and working toward a degree in Striper catching.

CA how about directly on the other side in Jersey. A lot of the Hudson River is accessible on the Jersey side parallel to Manhattan minus the "shady characters". And all it akes is a quick ferry ride.

Space

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Space wrote:
Feltman and Alberto, I would like to also attend the Chinatown foodfest as I too am a Chinatown connoisseur and working toward a degree in Striper catching. CA how about directly on the other side in Jersey. A lot of the Hudson River is accessible on the Jersey side parallel to Manhattan minus the "shady characters". And all it akes is a quick ferry ride.

Hello Space,
It's been a long time… How are you?
I am not sure when I am going to visit my relatives but if I do… I will let you know.

As for crossing over to the NJ side… I am not sure you want to do that… because majority of the fish is in the small side. Besides, if you are going to make a hall… You are probably better of going to Long Island! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Feltman wrote:
CA-- I probably am one of those shady characters. I'll take my chances...where's the spot? And, when do you want to go?

Feltman
Now that you told me that you are "probably" one of those shady characters… I am not sure if I want to go!
Maybe you should meet Space first… and he can give me his first impression of you. :)

As far as the locations are concerned… Again, you can try the South Street Seaport docks, Battery Park, the west side (18 -23 st. along the long docks). Also - there are several other places along the 70's (streets) where you can find water drainage - where the bass will be staging just outside of it. The best bite generally starts during the late hours of the night… But then again, I don't encourage anyone to go there..It's very risky and dangerous!

Fishing is supposed to be fun and not life treatening!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
feltman: the 72nd pier is beautiful, as you know. The river tends to be full of debris though (those Food Emporium plastic bags), sticks and logs. At the end of the pier the current is much too strong, even for prospecting around the pilings for potential fish holding in, against the current. Plus, too many people come up and ask questions, which I don't mind in any other context, but I like to concentrate on fishing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm embarrased to say

...that I live in the West Village and never fish the Hudson. The are around the 72 st pier so also too littered with metal debre from the old peirs. Check it out at low tide. There is a drain coming out just below 72 that they are tearing up but should be fixed soon. I've never been late at night but should maybe this weekend. Battery Park should be safe at night. Alberto, do you recommend jiging?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.