NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new boat this season so you can say i'm kinda new to this. Well i can see its starting to get a little chilly out there already. When would you experts say to put the rods away and wait untill next year? I dont know how good the fishing could be when it gets cold.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I tried to fish until Thanksgiving weekend last year & froze! One morning in early November, I launched and water had frozen in my outboard engine block & trashed the thermostadt gasket.
I started my outboard & I noticed water was not flowing through the block. I opened the cover & found water coming out of the relief valve on my thermostadt, yikes. I had to wait a while for the engine to heat up & release the ice blockage. Last November was a cold one.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hi,

Mid Dec. was usually my last day out for Blackfish or flounder. I had a 50 Johnson outboard and made sure that I kept it in the down position to drain the water after use.

Capt. Marc

This message was edited by Capt. Marc on 9-25-01 @ 10:03 PM

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
SeaLion
did you have your engine in the tilt position? If so, that's probably where the problem started. In cold weather it has to be down so water drains and doesn't pocket. That goes for boats in the water as well as on trailers.

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
457 Posts
Last year was my first season with a boat. I made my last trip on December 5 & had a great day! (At one point, we got 5 fish on the umbrella at the same time!) Ice on the deck & total face-freeze became the norm in mid November, but the fishing...... Leave it in as long as you can. This year, I might try to make Christmas!

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
778 Posts
STOP !!?? stop is a dirty word when it comes to fishing. mackrel and blackfish could last well in to the winter. last feb 18 we had a trip with 30 big blackfish for 3 people fishing near 17 fathoms. it is just a matter of you and boat being ready for the weather. catch em up !!

This message was edited by bhm25 on 9-26-01 @ 11:11 PM

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'd say it dpeends on where you keep your boat. If the water can freeze up and lock you in, you could be in trouble. If you are in deeper, moving water that usually doesn't freeze over than I would say try to stay in as long as possible. The winter blackfishing at 17 the last few years has been outstanding. The bass fishing in late Nov and early Dec is also outstanding! If you dress warm and have protection on your boat, go enjoy the great fishing. fyi... I wear a a pair of scuba gloves and they are great. THey keep your hands warm, you can feel the line and fish, you can grab the fish easily without fear of being pricked and you can put your hands in water and not freeze! Also the helly hansen thermals keep ya toasty!!

Keep an eye on the winds and weather. Make sure your electronics are working. It can get lonely out there sometimes...

Fatal Attraction

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should check with where boat is docked or moored to see if they have a date you need to be out by. If not just ask your self "Am I having fun". If not it's time to take the boat out. Also if you have an inboard motor there is more work you will need to due to winterize the motor. Decide how late in the year you want to due this work.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Alex....get a bubbler for your dock ..block heat ..and an icebreaker for your hull...it's going to be a lonnnng winter....harbor seals will be out...hot cocoa in a thermos will keep your hands thawed...runny noses feel good...no kleenex needed ...it runs and freezes in its tracks....best of all...you don't need cooler ice....layers of thermals and you'll be toasty....and you'll be out there..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What i'll do is stay out untill i ust cant take it no more. I'm new to boating i have a 22' cuddy cabin so 17 fathoms is out of the question for me. I'm not sure what my boat can handle yet. i have a i/o 165hp merc. What i'll do is stay out untill the end of october then maybe next year i'll try for a little longer. guess experience is the best way to go.

·
Registered
215 Posts
IT NEVER ENDS, AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED; FISH OUT THE BASS SEASON, THEN GO ON THE PARTY BOATS BOTTOM FISHIN. I WENT ON A 18 HOUR BOTTOM FISH TRIP IN FEBUARY LAST WINTER, IT WAS 20 DEGREES. THATS COLD MAN..... IF IT WASNT FOR THE HEATED HANDRAILS, I THINK MY FINGERS WOULD HAVE FROZE TO THE POLE...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.