NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a strange question- What's the strangest, wierdest, rarest, most exotic fish you've ever caught, seen, or heard? Feel free to put pics of the fish. I don't have much of a yarn to spin in this topic, but I'm not completely clueless.:rolleyes:
I've heard of big stingrays circling a boat in Long Island. I heard of a Barbelled Cusk-Eel on a night Fluke trip. Puffers in a marina. I've seen octopus (not a fish) and Lings caught on an inshore pier. Pigfish (Grunts) in the LI sound. Triggerfish on offshore wreck-fishing trips. Armored Searobins (Also called Poachers) on Fluke trips. Redfish on tidal beaches. Feel free to put in freshwater fish- freshwater is where the "Exotic Fish Goldmine"
is. Pictures of the fish, where caught, what bait- are all welcome, but if you have no pics, feel free to mention the fish.

CUL8TR

This post edited by Bigcitybigfish12 07:58 PM 01/01/2008

·
Banned
7,173 Posts
quite a few years ago now. the first cow nose ray i caught in shinne threw me off a bit. the first lizard fish i caught in shinne as well threw me off a bit. then the lion fish caught in the scallop dredge that topped it off. all of them are going back quite a few years now. with the constant changes of weather and what not we are bound to see more strange species. how about mola mola in the bay. sand tigers in the bay.

but the strangest of all was the abundance of bunker in the patchogue bay a short while after they banned the nets.
but now that nets are back lately things are sucking again.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
People have posted questions like this alot, But I will Answer. Triggerfish are actually not that all exotic they are up here in the summer months in numbers, people catch 'em while going for porgies or sea bass. But I've heard of a Pirahna caught in Lake Ronkonkoma, Mahi Mahi on bluefish trips, and I've read about a tarpon being caught in Massachusetts. Also I heard a baby Great White was caught in a net a couple years back. There are many more I can't remember right now

·
Administrator
112,310 Posts
BOBBYWALDBAUMBS wrote:
A PRIAHNA WOULD HAVE A TOUGH TIME WITH OUR WINTERS ? :confused:
!

the pirahnas are released into the lake in the summer by people that had them in their fish tanks every few yrs you hear about them being cought in Lake Ronkonkoma

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Not exactly a rare or uncommon fish but I was cod fishing on Coxes Ledge a couple years ago and saw a keeper haddock come up. First and only one I have seen come in from there.

·
Banned
7,173 Posts
white shark are not uncommon in our waters at all carsandfish. they come in for a visit from time to time around sore thumb. they love the holes and the structure over there to hold over a bit. some real biggins have been brought to the hull over there. **** 60' of water off of moses holds some real nasty toothy critters. if u saw what some fisherman reel up around here u probably would never swim again. lol

·
Registered
907 Posts
crabman1130 wrote:
Stargazer

Nice!

While porgie fishing in the sound we had grunts, lizzard fish and some kind of small jacks on a few trips. Not all that uncommon for NY, but a little odd for the sound.

I've heard some really strange things but didn't see them first hand, so I will call these "uncomfirmed rumors" for now:

Tarpon at Montauk
Cobia in Brooklyn
Thresher in Mattituck

This post edited by tautog1 10:42 AM 01/02/2008

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
Not sure how strange or even if they make it up here more offen, but a few years ago while fishing outside of Jones Inlet on a friends boat he landed a Tarpon. It was the first one Ive ever seen other than the ones we catch in Florida.

·
Registered
826 Posts
not abnormal but more abundant than normal

Fishing the canyons we saw lots of small baby mahi and baby marlin and sails.. not sure exactly if they are babys but they were about 6 inches or so..
I got a pic somewhere i will post the mahis!

·
Registered
31 Posts
This summer I caught a Northern Stargazer out of the surf..Large eyes which protrude from the top of the head along with its nostrils..very large pectoral fins and the fish produces an electrical charge as a defense mechanism ..All in all it was a pretty prehistoric looking fish

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Strange

Strange for me would be the Mola Mola, not rare but definitely strange.
Strangest catch, again not rare but with out a doubt the nastiest looking critter I've ever pulled out of the water was a Wolf fish I caught while fishing for Pollack and cod up in Nova Scotia back in the 60s. Thats not me or my fish in the photo but its the best pic I could find to show the ugly son of a guns.

This post edited by spygull 02:09 PM 01/02/2008

Attachments

·
Administrator
112,310 Posts
my strange

1st was a ramora it was swimming around the chum bucket while we were sharkin i baited up a small hook and after about 5 mins i brought it in for a photo shoot (looked like he had a sneaker on his head) then released him.

2nd was an ocean sunfish got it while sharkin it took a shark bait that sucker had some power to it i thought i had a record shark on no pics of that one

·
Registered
292 Posts
6 or 7 years ago we had some blue water move about 5 miles off Jones. we were trolling around little jets and feathers catching skippies and little mahis on fluke gear. Hooked up to one fish and it started jumping around. We thought it was a small wahoo but when we got it to the boat it was a 20 pound barracuda.

The only picture of that one I have is in the album and Ill photocopy it when I find the time

·
Registered
844 Posts
Strange fish

I caught a coupla' strange fella's one was a torpedo ray fishing out of Shinne**** for fluke once, and the other was a Manta shrimp in Gerritsen creek, again fishing for fluke, thank goodness i didn't touch either one, I heard they could put a little hurtin' on ya.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.