NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
i think it is the sail fish then second is the wahoo had a wahoo smoke a clicker on my reel in seconds the thing was ripping.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Wahoo finishes a distant fourth

06405 wrote:
i think it is the sail fish then second is the wahoo had a wahoo smoke a clicker on my reel in seconds the thing was ripping.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzzzz

Fastest Fish:
Sailfish, Istiophorus platypterus: 68.18 mph
Mako Shark, Isurus oxyrinchus: 60 mph
Marlin, Tetrapturus sp. 50 mph
Wahoo, Acanthocybium solandri 48.5 mph
Bluefin Tuna, Thunnus thynnus 43.4 mph
Blue Shark, Prionace glauca 43 mph
Bonefish, Albula vulpes 40 mph
Swordfish, Xiphius gladius 40 mph

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Only 2 of those fish on that list surprised me, I didn't know bonefish were that fast, and I didn't know that the Blue Shark was either.
I would have guessed :
Marlin
Mako
Wahoo
Tuna

·
Registered
848 Posts
ahiman

I don't know what the blue sharks are like in Kona but up here in the NE a blue shark swims 10 miles an hour tops thats with the current and tide going with them
learn something new every day i would have never thought they could swim that fast.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzz

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

The blue shark is a fast fish. They have great burst speeds. It is unfair to compare what you see in a slick when it is lazily swimming around compared to what it is capable of in open water.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Actually you got to look at not only burst but sustained speeds....

The black marlin thoughin the top of sustained is one of the fastest burst at clocked over 100mph in the water!

Then you can get into wahoo and sails which are normally clocked at sustained swimming speeds! they can hold up longer than most fish!

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Sportfishingusa wrote:
The black marlin thoughin the top of sustained is one of the fastest burst at clocked over 100mph in the water!

Where did you get that information from?

MakoMatt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Blue shark... speed

C'mon, I would hope we have enough knowledge on this board not to believe something as silly as a 40mph blue shark. First, there tail design is nothing like the others, and second, they would give line sizzling runs if they had all that speed, which they don;t. So that data sorce is incorrect. Surprisingly, the cusp is the fastest groundfish.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.