NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Capt Al

Vector-
The fare this past year was $42, plus a $5 pool. Don't know if he's increased it, last trip I made with Al was early Dec. Not a bad deal at all, $42 for a FULL day ocean fishing on one of the best bottom fishing boats around!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Capt. Al's fare is the most reasonable around. The Al is docked 5 minutes from Jones Inlet, and you will be fishing with one of the best Captains and Crew on the South Shore-as JC stated, one of the
best around. Capt. Tom will put you over the fish - up to you to
catch them up.
Good Luck,
Rick

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
By no means is this a knock against the boat or crew, but.....

If you have never fished on the boat ( and I haven't in some years so things may have changed)

1- no rod holders--bring something to tie your rod to the rail.

2- very small cabin-- you may not get a seat in there, even if you do the cig smoke may be too much for you, so be prepared to sit outside for the ride.

3- as I remember the boats rocks more then most. If you are prone to motion sickness pick a bluebird day.

Otherwise you have a great chance of some good local fishing with a very knowledgeable captain in Tom. If you get there early enough and Al is there sit and listen to one of the true treasures of NY fishing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
crabman1130 wrote:

2- very small cabin-- you may not get a seat in there, even if you do the cig smoke may be too much for you, so be prepared to sit outside for the ride.

3- as I remember the boats rocks more then most. If you are prone to motion sickness pick a bluebird day.

I dont mean to knock the author here but you just did knock the boat and the crew.
small cabin and rocks a a lot no rod holders- thats knocking the boat
crew allows the smoking- that knocks the crew

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
ChopBuster wrote:
crabman1130 wrote:

I dont mean to knock the author here but you just did knock the boat and the crew.
small cabin and rocks a a lot no rod holders- thats knocking the boat
crew allows the smoking- that knocks the crew

Are all those things no longer the case? Because by my recollection they sounded like an accurate description of the boat, so how is that a knock? Capt. Al's fare is inexpensive and he does catch fish, but it is far from the most comfortable choice for winter wreck fishing.

Good info Crabby

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
1) I believe there are rod holders on the boat now

2) Al is in Florida for the winter so you'll have to wait till May to talk to him

3) Definitely a no frills vessel, no galley, no heated rails, tiny cabin, but definitely will give you the best shot around at catching anything in February, or year round for that matter

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Yes, they installed some rod holders, but only across the stern. Didn't mean to leave that stuff out, crabman, I just like fishing on the white over green fishing machine so much I accentuated the positive!

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
I used to fish the boat in winter before I got beat up from my job. Now I can just about handle a full day on a fluke boat, forget a cod boat in winter.

The Al is worth the trip, and you can't beat the fare. Tom is one of the few captains that fish year round, and he's been doing it fo over 30 years. I used to fish Speedy for cod when he worked deck. He is one of the best around.

I was just trying to help make the trip more comfortable for the guy.

Think about it, if you bring a hot seat and some hand warmers you gould get tucked in behind the wheelhouse for the ride.

Knowing to have some string to tie a sinker to, to wrap around the rail and your rod is a plus. (mono don't work as well)

Seasickness, need I say more?

I'm 56, if I were 36 I'd have been there already this year.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Wherever your headed you'll have plenty of time to get to know the other fishermen around you. It may be 5 minutes to the inlet for other boats but add a few minutes extra for the Al. Not the fastest boat in the fleet but quite an experience. Listening to the regular's war stories (if your lucky enough to get a seat)is truely a trip. Can't beat the price and the close quarters makes for a good bit of comradery. Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Crabman-

It was a good ides for you to point those things out to him, or anyone who doesn't know. You're absolutely right, it can be a tough day for an older person, people who don't normally fish in the winter, those prone to seasickness, ect. Who knows, I may be in your situation when I'm your age. Geeze, that's over 20 yrs from now for me, but I bet the boat will still be around, lol!

·
Registered
687 Posts
My partner and I have fished the capt. Al and loved it + hes' one of the cheapest fares' around. My partners almost 75 and I 'm pushing 60. Partner grew up in Brooklyn and use to work the boats in shb. He fished with Al back then and says he can 't remember a better captain anywhere. The crew that now runs it will do everything possible to put you on the fish. No boat rides ! Partner and I plan on giving it a shot next week weather permitting.

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
LobsterD wrote:
Hey Crab, I just turned 60,:rolleyes: want to pull some pots with me come spring,no heated rails,no rod holders,small cabin on my boat too.
Nothing physical, you can play with the bait all day.
If you don't think I'll be in the way, it sounds like fun.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
EVERYTHING SAID IS TRUE

The Good is GREAT

The Bad is REALLY not that Bad

The Ugly is ONLY if you preceive it that way

Tommy Weiss is a Great guy and Fantastic Captain

Excellent Mates

Captain Al himself is a LIVING LEGEND

The last time I saw Captain Al was at my friend Tom Marconis Funeral, Tommy Weiss was there as well if EVERYONE could only hear the storys of the Wrecks him and Tommy used to race to ((RACE LOL)) 2 of the
S L O W E S T boats out there but 2 of the greatest Captains ever. Unfortunetly Only 1 is left. Like someone said get their Early when Al is back and sit down and talk to him and cherish EVERY minute.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.