NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a different boat. I am considering either a 1980's Boston Whaler Outrage center console; a 1980's Mako cabin model; a 1970's Sea Craft cabin model; a 1990's Pursuit cabin model; 1990's Parker Cabin model. I fish the southshore; primarily the bay and some ocean. I want to have a boat that will get me to the Linda Wreck or Virginia Wreck b/c I will be sharking next summer. Basically, I'm looking for a double duty boat.

Any sugesstions? Guys who have the above mentioned boats, I'd appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The boatshows Jan 5th @ Javits center, NYC.
Im meeting an Edgewater dealer there who's supposed to give me a great deal on an 18{ we'll see"}
Im in the market also and I like your choices, I can add some stuff, The Seacrafts had notched transoms, I think many will agree that there were some years that Mako's werent as good as others, so you gotta choose right. Be carefull with moisture in the early BW hulls. . Maybe add Contender, Edgewater, Prolines, Kencrafts, Stigercraft, C Hawks building again I heard.
So many great builders and nows the time to buy,
Hoping to see some replys here to this thread myself,
Alan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi:
I spent the last year looking at sport cabins from Steiger, C-Hawk, and Parker with the idea of being able to use the boat in both the bay and the ocean. The Parker and Steiger seemed better built than the C-Hawks but the Steiger had a free-board that was much too low to feel comfortable in the ocean. I bought a used Parker which I am very happy with.
Sincerely,
Joseph

·
Registered
282 Posts
the boats you mention seem to be all capable of handling bay and the occaisional ocean visit in good weather .i would suggest to be very secure in the engine that you choose ,if it is used have it checked over by a marine mechanic that you trust. and sign up with a towing organization.most will charge about a 100 bucks a year for maximum protection well worth it when one towing of just 8 miles can be about 400-600 dollars.been there done that

vinnyf

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have been fishing on my friends Parker2520 for the last 5 seasons. It is located in long island sound but we have put 1000's of miles in offshore. It is by far the best fishing platform in its size. (I have a 23 wellcraft) It is the deep-V model and has a Yamaha 250. The boat is tricked out with ALL of the toys including a kicker and ****pit controls. We have caught Bluefin, Yellowfin, Mako, Thresher and Marlin from this platform. The protection from the elements is awesome. It is for sale as he is moving up. We have the offshore bug bad. If you are interested e-mail me at [email protected] This is a fishing machine.
Tight lines, Sawbelly

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentlemen:

Thank you for the input. It helps a lot. It seems that Parker is the way to go. They have the huge ****pits and the protection from the elements. However, cost is a factor. That's why I'm looking used. I currently have a 21 foot Sea Pro walk around and hope to have about $15,000 - $20,000 to spend. The Whalers seem to be the best values. However, I think I am going to settle on Mako 238 cabin model. The boats are built like tanks and are offshore capable. I will be at the boat show. Don't you guys agree that boats were built heavier and sturdier in the 80s than today?

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
The further you go back in time, the fiberglass will be thicker as boats today are enginered for performance rather then being seaworthy. Some boats made today have certian areas where you can actually see light through the hull. Fuel 20-30 years ago was 20-50 cents a gallon and fibergalss was still new to the market. I have a 1974 F-30 Trojan and you should see the way fiberglass is laid in that boat.This boat is for sale.
I also have a 2001, 2320 sport cabin Parker with a 200 HPDI Yamaha. The boat is a tank,carry's a 150 gallons of fuel and a ****pit that is almost 80 sq.ft. The only downfall is no live baitwell. the boat weighs almost 5500 lbs with a full tank(1050 lbs). I should of got the 250 but the HPDI series only went to 200HP.
If you decied to go with a boat in the mid 80's range have it SURVEYED! Whatever it cost is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ray,
How've you been. Here's what I hear about the boats you mentioned. The Whalers pound, in fact there was a 25 Whaler with twins at my marina and the guy hated it from day 1, finally sold it this year. The Parker's are nice but wet. SeaCraft are supposed to be great from all accounts that I've heard. My Mako you've seen. Never took it to the Virginia but have fished the Yankee and Edna's with it. Consider adding a kicker if you plan to fish the 40-mile area.

Bill

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bill,

Thanks for the response. As you know, I love your Mako. I agree that a kicker offers the security when you are out there. I am going to wait until the Spring to sell my boat. I am having it winterized Saturday and that's it. About the Whalers, I told you that I almost bought one. I am glad that deal fell through. By the way, I read your article on how to buy a used boat. Does that apply also to your's? Ha Ha.

Have a great holiday and hopelfully we'll be doing business in the Spring.

Ray

·
Registered
18 Posts
LedaAnnIV,you said Parkers are wet what type parker did you get wet on(a centerconsole in the rain,or a sport cabin that someone sprayed water on while washing?) They have a nice carolina flair that knocks down a sea,have a 23'dv sport cabin and have not gotten soaked yet including ****pit in snotty seas.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I own a 24 ft Albemarle I could not be happier with. Fast, heavy, economical and built to last forever. The only negitive with this boat is the tendency for it to role a little in a short chop. Other wise it is like owning a 30 ft boat. Total weight of 6000 lbs with fuel. At 25 knots I burn about 11 gallons per hour with a injected gas I/O. This is my 4 th boat and best.

Capt Mike

·
Registered
588 Posts
What is the best boat for bay/ocean I have no idea one man's goose is anoth man's gander.

I run a 25' Grady White Sailfish an older 1986. I agree with the above knowldgable contributers regarding the basic quality issue of boats made in the mid 80's vs the 90's. As said earlier it is economics the profit squeeze for manufacturers, dealers the entire "chain" is intense today and most likely will continue not quite the same thing in the less than "go go" years of the 80's. (To wit, my Pizza/retaurant guy quit his business solely because of astronimical new rents nothing at all like he witnessed 10 years previous, his choice raise prices and/or keep prices, cut service and quality, he moved on.)

Just some random thoughts on the 25 Grady but it could be any boat, this is now a retrospective look back after 12 years. It works well for me but it is not perfect by any means: eats gas, tough to clean lots of nooks and crannies, original wiring is all over the place, will pound in certain seas, drifts quickly in a wind with all that above water structure. On the plus side very seaworthy, enormous storage deck and down below ( I essentially bring ice and my coffee and off I go) nice fishing platform close to the water, can get out of the elements if need be, and is quick to get me in and about in most seas. The only stuff on the boat I have replaced are some teak rails, canvass, and of course the OBs. I am amazed beyond amazed how well things have held up on this boat, do not take this as a Grady advertisement just my experience good luck on your search, Gary.

Your Name

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Apparently this topic has diferent veiws, which is good. I myself was torn between the 23 Grady and the Parker I have now. Both are very seaworthy boats and made with that in mind. The Grady had some more creature comforts for sure but I sometimes put the Parker on the Trailer and go to Montauk. The Grady's beam of 9'3'" was a little to big to tow legally and a transom bracket that I wasn't to crazy about but could live with.
I had a Wahler many,many moons ago and they were good 30 years ago. It was a 14 footer with a 60 Evenrude, the thing flew!!!!
There was only a true handful of quality boats made in that size but they were good.
If you go to the City or Nassau show just check out how many"AFFORDABLE BOATS" there are. Its almost scary, and by the time you go through all the boats you really can't remeber what you looked at. I sold boats there for 3 years and some of the looks on peoples faces where amazing. They almost seemed sorry they started looking. I would say 60-70% shop price rather than guality and what a huge mistake that is especially after they deciede to get off it in a couple of seasons. My suggestion to anyone buying a boat, new or used is to do a sea trial on the boat and if new see when the dealer is offering them. THAT WILL RUSTLE HIS FEATHERs!!!!!!!!!!.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I have to agree with Gary,my boat too isn't perfect but has been treating my well for 12 years now.I have a 1988 C-Hawk,25 foot with an enclosed cabin.When I bought it my friends and I were strickly bay fishermen,so with the flat bottom(12 degree deadrise)it was an excellent boat.Then we started trolling for bass outside in the fall,doing nearby wreck trips and soon we were traveling 50 miles offshore for shark and tuna.Its a rough ride in the chop,but with the flat wide 9 1/2 ft beam its great for trolling and drifting offshore,less roll than the deep V's, its just getting there thats tough.It has loads of fishing room(6 people easy)plenty of storage area inside,great to get out of the elements and for the money(1989 it was 19,999) out the door. There wasn't another 25 ft boat anywhere near that price range.I rigged it the way I wanted it and plan on holding on to it for a long while.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
588 Posts
One last thought ( which echos some of the fine dialogue above) and real quick back in 1988 I was looking at 3 boats all 25 footers a Wellcraft (was it a Coastal?) a Pursuit and the Grady. What sold me on the Grady was storage, wider beam and a sea trial. I was out in Hampton Bays in December 1988 Rowlands marine? I am looking at a Grady in the water a guy comes up "are you interested" I said "maybe", this is a 24 footer, "let's take a spin." He takes her out to either Moriches or Shinne**** Inlet to me it was rough as **** and scary the guy knew his stuff, ran the boat all around the breakers. I was sold that day on the fabric of the Grady, to be honest I had no idea what a sea trial was, I had no idea about other boats I was a shore fishing guy not a boating guy but the demo knocked my socks off, be well Gary.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Suzanne H:
Never got wet on one myself, I was relaying what other owners had told me. I agree, the flair on the bow should roll water down but that's not what I was told. It may push it from the bow only to have it thrown into the ****pit.
Like Gary says, the only way to find out is sea trial a boat before you buy it. I had the opposite experience, had a saleman run me to Jones' Inlet in March and laid a boat broadside. It rolled like crazy and killed that sale. That's when I bought the Mako.

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Couple thoughts/comments if I may.
Gary Ive seen that big Grady 1/2 dozen times out there and it looks much newer, she really held up well.
Paulie, that rig was $ 20k new ? With a Suzuki OB???? Dahhling sucha deal!!!

Everones heard the old saying " theres no such thing as a perfect boat" That really rings true.
I think the goal is to buy something thats suited to your boating needs, bayfishing, bay/inlet/beaches, wrecks/Cholera/inshore tuna, or The Canyon.
Also you want to get something thats easier to sell, a name brand. Grady, Mako, Boston whaler, Seacraft ect. These craft hold thier values.
You might get a great deal on a new 25' " Sailfish" walk around and the boat might have decent quality but you'll take a hit if you want to sell it.
Things I learned to stay away from:
1-Cobra I/O's , these things are OK if adjusted right but are headaches to say the least.
2-Evenrude FICHT, they rushed the whole program when designing this technology which led to the companys bankruptcy, the same thing they did with the Cobra.
3- Mercury outboards, Oh no I can sense some disagreements and I was a Mercury / Checkmate guy as a kid becuase these engines really wind up but for a fisherman they are nothing but headaches in many cases.
Johnsons & Evenrudes are good { maybe better now with new owners} but I'm getting a Yammie on my next boat .

Another observation; Has anyone noticed the strange marriges of New pre rigged boats from dealerships, for example; Prolines, Whalers come rigged with Mercs and Cobias & Sailfish come rigged with Yammies.
Oh well you can still buy a Contender with Yamaha's.. man, those are sweet boats.
Alan

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Alan,
yes it ran me 19 and some change but it came with just an engine,streering wheel,controls and batteries.I got a real good price by rigging the lights,gauges,rod holders and I had to buy and install the electronics.But it was worth it. When something isn't working its easier to find the problem when you ran the wiring yourself.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Paulie,
Thanks for the comeback, Those C hawks are quality boats, you did good for that #. I just returned from a ride to Whitewater Marine & checked out the Parkers and Contenders 2 great builders and thier all rigged with Yammies. As far as Parker CC's go they didnt have any tall gunnel 21 ftrs. only the 18's and the 21 bay. I dont like either hull design for the $ . The 25 Cabins are awesome but out of my price range. Contenders are one of the best boats ever built in my opinion but are pricy. If I can find a deal on a 23 with a yammie I'll buy one { dont think they make 21's.
Oh well gotta keep on looking, Whitewater also had a 2000 26' Grady CC that was awesome. The boats hull was the most impressive of all boats there with its flared hull and deadrise, sounded like a rock when you knocked on her too. Dont got $90K for a boat though.
Alan

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.