NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my GPS/chartploter and Fish Finder sounder on my flybridge.need some info on going color or not, also lcd or crt.

This message was edited by Fish On on 3-4-02 @ 9:39 PM

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Fish on-
If you are upgrading your radar-COLOR! Water is blue, blue is water, no chance of mistaking the shadow of a sand bar for water!

GPS/Plotter- Color is nice. On some units makes it easier to pick out known objects. If you do a lot of fishing at night, make sure the unit has a bright/dim adjustment that lets you turn it down real low. Stare at a fairly bright display for a few moments than try to look into the dark of night, it is tough! Most color units allow you to change the background to something (amber or black) that doesn't really screw up your night vision as much (my experience).

On fish finders/sounders I think color allows you to more easily tell the differences between weed, small bait schools, thermoclines, real game fish , etc. All comes with experience, though!

LCD/CRT- Best resolution is CRT. The LCD technology has closed the gap some what. It may come down to space limitations- the LCD's are thinner. Whatever, make sure that it is day light viewable!! Bring your favorite sunglasses (especially if polarized) and try viewing the screen with them on. There is nothing more annoying than constantly peering over the top of your glasses when you are trying to find fish or see where you are!

Hope this helps!

TSLTW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My budget for the both units is about $4000.gps mabe Garmin model 2226c. and the fish finder Lowrance modle Lcx16 ci.both units are new models and have high resolution 640x480

any info, opinion

thank you

This message was edited by Fish On on 3-5-02 @ 4:36 PM

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Fish on-
Excellent choices. I was going to get the Lowrance X-16 Plotter Sounder, until I saw the Garmin 2010c which I purchased. I decided to get the Garmin as my primaryGPS/Plotter and use the FURUNO NAVNET Gps as my backup. I'm happy with the integrated FURUNO sounder. If I had the space, and went completely for stand alone units, I would have chosen the Lowrance as a sounder.

The 2 units you are looking at will definitely be under your budget. You'll have lots left for beer! (LOL)

Good Luck!

TSLTW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.