NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I know there are many kind of fishermen around? but what?s more important to you and why?

Bass or Blue?
Porgy or Blackfish?
Flounder or Fluke?
Cod or Tuna?
Largemouth or Trout?

And...Surf or Boat?

Come on now... What kind of fisherman are ya. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Bass or Blue? Well the striped-ones are alot of fun and tasty too, but sometimes nothings more fun than a nice big blue on light tackle ;)

Porgy or Blackfish? Um, I can sum that up with one word (repeatedly) TOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOG

IMHO they are the best tasting fish and extremely fun to catch.

Flounder or Fluke? Tough call here , but I'd say fluke as I usually only make a few flounder trips and trying to get that elusive true-doormat is my goal for Summer '02

Cod or Tuna? Well going on my first tuna trip this year so I'll have to get back to you on this one ;) hey Al, wanna break me in on this fishing???

largemouth or trout? Freshwater??? eeecccck, gotta go with the bass especially after seeing those pics in ************* ;)

Well I was brought up a boat guy and just getting into the surf thing...still love being out on the water!!!

How about one for you... Skate or Dogfish? :)

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi Al.

Hmmmm---lessee:

Bass or blue? Er, yer kidding me, right?

Porgy or blackfish? If ya put a gun to my head, 'togs.

Flounder or fluke? Let's see---the choices are going out there in March/April and freezing my tail off, or going out in shorts in the summer. That's a tough one ;)

Cod or tuna? Hook me up for a tuna trip and I'll let you know :)

Trout or LMs? Seriously, I used to do a lot of fishing in the reservoirs in the spring. Always fished for trout due to the closed season on bass ( ;) ), but caught a lot of bass "by accident" which were promptly released while still in the water. Correct answer is neither----smallies!!!!!

What's a boat?

This message was edited by Mike P on 1-24-02 @ 5:18 PM

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Bass or Blues--Neither is very important to me, but bass are certainly more important than blues to me. The words "night bluefishing" are synonymous with "root canal" in my book. I do make a couple of striper trips a year and I do enjoy catching them, but I'd rather chase bottom fish.

Porgy or Blackfish--Gottog said it best already, but I do lower (some consider them lowly) myself to porgy fishing and I love it. Don't forget about seabass as they fill the gap in my book between blackfish and porgies.

Flounder or Fluke--What's a flounder? Aren't they extinct? If I could bring back the late Springs of my youth, fishing out of Montauk for flounder, there might be some competition. However, this is 2002 and unfortunately there is no choice anymore.

Cod or Tuna--I am probably the only one that's caught both and going with cod, I know I'm crazy. Tuna are great, but I enjoy codfishing more. I just don't like being tethered one or two big fish as much as I like having steady action all day.

Largemouth or Trout--Haven't done much trout fishing, but I started out bass fishing down in Florida and still go when I get a chance. For those who don't know, the small freshwater canals of South Florida offer better bass fishing than just about any place on earth.

Boat or surf--Boat!

Let's hear from you CA, are you a sinker bouncer at heart?

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Surf fishing, prepared for bass but i enjoy catching others when they bite. If i'm out a few days i will jig for fluke during the day. I'm a simple guy but i always go home happy even though i wish i could stay out there.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Good question Forrest!!!!

First off - I'm a boat guy, but will do more trips in the surf this year.

Bass or Blues - Bass 100%. They taste better. They are also prettier than Blues, and don't bite me off.Although, it was lots of fun chunking low teen Blues in November.

Tog or Poorgy - Ben Porgy fishing once, Toggin about 7 times. Tog are fun. You actually need some sort of skill to catch them ,whereas anyone can catch a Porgy.
Fluke
I'm with Gottog on the Tuna thing. Never been, but hopefuly this year. Hmmm, Mike P, Crazy, Gottog, & Crash, Tuna charter sounds great.

I love Largemouth fishing, but not as much as fishing for rising trout during a Sulphur hatch. Wish Trout fishing was closer.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Mike - It depends on what you consider 'Best Trout Fishing". I agree, the probability of catching the humungous-est Troutof your life is in that river, I do not get that excited because of the hatchery/stocking that goes on there. My personal feeling on that place is this - if they stock a 4 foot stream with hundreds of 5-10 pound trout, what is the big deal of catching something that big. I rather fish in a river (with no beats) where I have a chance at some wild fish, eating insects, matching the hatch, and releasing teh fish after I catch it. Thus the mention of the Sulphur hatch.

Not knocking that place, I've fihsed there and at the other place, (not the river named after a woman), and had fun both times. But for me, there is nothing better than catching "Wild" Browns on perfectly tied imitations of what is hatching.

Now, why didn't you mention the Tuna charter I am trying to "Goat" you into?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I have to stick up for the lowely bluefish. Easy to catch, fight like ****, always cooperative. When I don't have a lot of time to fish I sure do appreciate their cooperative ways ! Blues can really save a slow day when hunting for some of the harder to find fish.

Striper77

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now let me see here....

Blues vs. Stripers
Blues are a blast to catch due to their evil nature, but they are also easy to land. That's why I like the challenge of catching Stripers. I'll give the edge to the Stripah!

Porgy vs. Blackfish
I grew up catching Blacks in Massachusetts and love the taste of those ugly bastards.

Flounder vs. Fluke
I agree w/ the other fellows. It's not worth it to me to sit in the freezing cold, wiping away ice boogers while trying to catch a few doormats. I'll take the Flounders summer breathren.

Cod vs. Tuna
Are you kidding me? Tuna, Tuna, Tuna

Largemouth vs. Trout
Not much of a flyfisherman; so I haven't experienced trout fishing. Can't answer this one.

Surf vs. Boat
Don't own a boat, but love to be on the open water. If I could, I'd own one. I'll take the boat.

What kind of fisherman am I? (I know this isn't one of the questions):
One who is so compulsive I sit on my butt half the night reading these **** posts! CABIN fever has set in!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Hey Billy,

That sounds like a pretty good idea for a tuna trip. I'm down. Don't have the gear for it nor would I know what I'm doing but hey, when do i ever???
Seriously, I'm in for a trip. Maybe Alberto can show us how's its done ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
stripers weaks then blues
tog over porgies but i enjoy porgy's too
tuna over cod only cause i have caugth tuna never did catch a cod
flounder or fluke split i would rather eat flounder but prefer catching fluke.
trout over lmb because i prefer fishing in a river
shore over boat

This message was edited by BrianZ on 1-29-02 @ 11:04 AM

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have watched Crazy Alberto's board with great interest because I can tell he is a diehard fisherman. I noticed a discussion by gottog and others about tuna fishing. Well I have a 32 blackfin and fish year round ( I passed the Sea Pigeon on the way in when it was snowing two weeks ago, gottog). Any ways, I have made over 50 canyon trips with my 32 blackfin and I will invite some on this board for a free overnight canyon trip. I go every week when the weather permits (Hudson Canyon). By the way I love to blackfish but the favorite fish I have caught on my boat are : blue marlin, wahoo, swordfish, bigeye tuna, allison tuna and cod. I run out of Gerritsen Beach and we will discuss this on the board, OK Al?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Jrgesq,
Thanks for the invite for the tuna trip. I think the people that showed interest in that would be more than greatful and help cover the costs. Do you have enough equipment for us? Hopefully we can get this trip together.
Alberto is a TRUE diehard fisherman and a great guy to boot. Hopefully he'll come along with us.

So you were out in the snow on that saturday as well? Was a slow day but did put together a decent catch of blackfish and ling. Did you see the porpoises out near 17 that day? Beaches were incredible looking with the snow on em.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.