NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks,

Now that the panfish are biting, the flounder and the trout season are open - How many of you out there are targeting those finicky critters?

Also… There are some C&R stripers on the North shores, the tautog are moving inshore with some weakfish rumors going around.

For those who are in the know…Cough it up! :) No location… just a simple yes or no should suffice. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Alberto,

How have you been stranger??? Glad to see your back.

Flounder - Been out in the Raritan Bay targeting the tasty flatties, but had limited success. One trip I had two lonely keepers(one the pool winner) and the other trip I had nothing but the big old smelly skunk. Other people fishing around me had pretty much the same...a SLOW pick at best but hopefully it'll pick up.

Stripers - Been getting some rats and slots on bait. Seems worms and clams were working best, but with the influx of bunker locally the bigger boys(and girls) should come out to play now.

Tog - was going to leave them alone in the spring but after a few reports from some buddies including a 14lber caught down in Barneget I might make a trip this weekend.

Here bunker, bunker, bunker...let me introduce you to Mr. Snag-hook ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Al

Moved the boat to Shine**** ( from Montauk ), south side of locks. Have been fishing three times a week..moving my boat between Jacksons ( known holes ), and lesser spots. The story is..NADA. Almost nothing. Somtimes a few fish * the most between two of us has been 5 fish, with a few throwbacks.

Water temp is 47.5.

Im heading East, Montauk Lake might hold some flounders.

I will also have a chance at offshore for cod,ling,blacks. It has been blowing a gale for weeks..in Montauk

Otherwise..very little going on, im my opinion.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys… This is great stuff!

Hey Gottog… thanks for the welcome and send me an email if ya gonna harass them monster tog.

Fencer04 wrote:
My father had 10 flounder yesterday out of Huntington Harbor and I also will try the blackfish this weekend with my new Newell 235-5. Thanks for the advice on that Alberto.

Fencer… That's great that the flounder are cooperating! :)
BTW: I know you will enjoy the Newell and you are not going to regret it!
Also… keep us posted on the blackfish bite.

Rooster wrote:
Moved the boat to Shine**** ( from Montauk ), south side of locks. Have been fishing three times a week..moving my boat between Jacksons ( known holes ), and lesser spots. The story is..NADA. Almost nothing. Somtimes a few fish * the most between two of us has been 5 fish, with a few throwbacks.
Water temp is 47.5. Im heading East, Montauk Lake might hold some flounders.
I will also have a chance at offshore for cod,ling,blacks. It has been blowing a gale for weeks..in Montauk
Otherwise..very little going on, im my opinion.

Rooster
Wow… Considering that you are fishing the Shinne****… that's a very S L O W pick! I fished it (Canal) on the opening day and nailed 6 keepers (locks closed at5:45am - until 11:30am). I also noticed several stamped size flatties which tells me that we were off (late) by two or three weeks!

As for the cod, ling and blacks… You should do well (if the weather cooperates). Good Luck and thanks for the report!

MakoMike wrote:
I know that the lazybones and a couple of private boats were out in the lake today, but I have no idea if they caught anything.

Hiya Mike,
Hmmm….. Thanks for the info. buddy! I will give them a call to find out! Gracias amigo! :)

TRADEnFISH wrote:
There has been a decent blackfish bite on the inshore south shore reefs this early spring. Mostly on clam.

TRADEnFISH,
Wow… That's kinda early (two weeks) for the south shore reef! How deep were you fishing and did you catch any size? Thanks!!!

Woooohoooo…. This is good read! Please keep it coming!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve20 wrote:
…I've never caught a tog before and only fish on shore, Jones beach area.
If possible could you give me directions to an area or just let me know what kind of structure I have to look for by the water or bridge.

Hello Steve20,
There are several places where you could target tog from shore… but let me tell you. Blackfish are NOT the easiest quarry to catch! Tautogs are notorious for stealing bait and it requires some level of skill. Anyway… You need to find "structure" and the more structure you can find… the better your odds of catching a fat critter! What I mean by structure is simple… A jetty or pilings with lots of crustacean such as mussel beds, snails, crabs etc… It must be near moving water with approximately 8 -50 ft. depths (high tide).

FYI: During the spring time… the breeders moves inshore to spawn and by end by mid June… it will move to deeper (cooler waters). The tog will return during the fall until late October. These fish are very vulnerable during the spring (spawning) and during the fall season. Also bear in mind that blackfish are heavily targeted and we MUST be conservative about it!

Regulation: On NY waters… the limit is as follow:
14" minimum size limit with 10 fish per day from 10/7 - 5/31. 1 fish per day from 6/1 - 10/6.

There is too much to write about… So if you have any other questions… feel free to ask!

Tight Lines!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Al,

Figured I would embellish Shinne**** a bit more.

Opening day was a steady pick, all around.On my boat also. That was the last day up untill last week when there was a few more flounders around.

I watched as both myself, and Shinne**** Star caught a few if at best day after day, both shifts early and late.

One bit of advice, for any of your readers. Outgoing tide, one hour after the locks open. Just stay north of the bouy to the south on the edge of the moving water. Yesturday, and the day before..it was a steady pick. Got 8 in a few hours ( two of us ), once the water was running.

Nothing by the Jacksons hole.

Regards

·
Registered
321 Posts
South Shore Reefs

Al,
We have had a blackfish bite all winter on the south shore. When I look in my book we had them inshore (60') until the end of January then it slowed down, but there was still a bite in deeper water. I guess the water temp on the bottom did not get so cold and instead of the blacks moving further off they have moved inshore (40-60') in the past 3 weeks. Bite is 75% clam and very tidal. We had fish to 10 pounds in late January but nothing to big since.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rooster wrote:
…One bit of advice, for any of your readers. Outgoing tide, one hour after the locks open. Just stay north of the bouy to the south on the edge of the moving water. Yesturday, and the day before..it was a steady pick. Got 8 in a few hours ( two of us ), once the water was running.

Rooster… Wow…that's a good trip… and thanks for the flounder tip! I am sure that a few readers will be taking advantage… ! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tradefish… That's correct! With this year's (warm) temperature… you can bet that the blackfish will be moving in earlier! ;)

Steve20 wrote:
Could you advise where I would be able to find 50' of water off of the shore?
I don't remember fishing an area that drops that deep.

Steve20… There are several places where you can find those deep holes. You can start by searching the Shinne**** (West) Jetty… The 4x4 access at the Moriches (West) inlet, the Democrat's Backbay pockets, Shore Thumb (near Fire Island Inlet) and I am pretty sure that there are a few spring blackfish spots near the Jones beach area too! ;)

Since you wrote: I've never caught a tog before and only fish on shore, Jones beach area.… I strongly recommend that you wear corkers if you are planning to fish around the rocky areas (jetties)!

Remember… Blackfish are probably the toughest fish to hook (expert bait stealers) and it requires a lot of patience and perseverance.

I also strongly recommend that you do a little research on this quarry… Once you do - you'll have great respect for this feisty critter and understand the "challenges" that you will be facing. :)

Be careful with the rocks and don't be frustrated!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
321 Posts
STEVE20-Blackfish

Steve20, If you want to catch some blackfish this year I sometimes have room.I have a 17 Whaler Outrage which I go everywhere in but I usually fish on my friends 28 BHM. We fish out of Island Park. When I do not fish on my friends boat I go on the Whaler. Email me if you are interested in going sometime.
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello my old buddy Angelos!

WELCOME… In regards to the new Porgy regulation - the verdict is NOT out yet!
Last year's Opening season (9" min. size - 7/1 - 11/17) may change again. There are rumors that the season may open later this year with a minimum 10" size limit, which will meet the necessary 15% reduction requirement!

Stay tuned - As soon as I get the confirmation… I will post it in here! :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.