NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Stripers,Bluefish, Porgy, Sea Bass, Fluke.

Fishermen, as wll as PB Operators will HAVE NO CHOICE but to change their midset, and accept teh fact that they will have to do COmbo trips for multiple species.

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Right Billy

I think that you will also see more PBs doing more offshore trips this year. At least the ones that are capable of making these trips. The targets will be mostly geared towards Tile/Wreckfish/Pollack/Haddock/Cod and Tuna. The Viking posted it's Spring/Summer/Fall schedule and it's offshore trips are six pages long

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
DandJfish wrote:
I think that you will also see more PBs doing more offshore trips this year.

YOu wont' see more PB's, you'll see more trips. I cannot imagine teh Jet making an Offshore trip, lol. There really aren't too many boats capable of making these types of trips - they migh tmake them, but it will be very uncomfortable since teh boats are not set up for an 8 hour run. No bunks, barely enough cabin space to start, smal boat can't handle snot, etc.

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Billy

As stated in my previous post, "Only the PBs that are capable of making these types of trips" did not imply that you will see more PBs as anyone looking to break into the business now would have to have their head examined. As far as creature comforts are concerned i can name a few PBs that already make some of these types of trips that have limited cabin space and few if any bunks. Captians and Crews will do whatever they possibly can to survive.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
tough call on what they will fish for....guess just put out a sign like in Florida, "ocean fishing" or "4 hour fishing" Here's a couple instances off the top of my head that come to mind if the regs in other posts come to pass for sure.

1) Will the Viking go up to New Bedford for 1/2 of May and all of June for 10 porgies? I think not.
2) 4 blackfish a man, maybe target blackfish in the fall when it's open for a couple of hours, then fish for ling?
3) Bigger fluke/less bag limit, maybe boats specialize fishing just for the bigger fish but will people pay knowing they can only keep two?

It's really a mess, most boats can't do the longer offshore runs, imagine going to the Virginia in the Jet or similar boat? Uncomfortable to say the least.

I agree it will be interesting to see what boats do, like I said before, having worked in the industr for some time, I really do feel their pain.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
many of the party boats arent licensed to go too far offshore anyway what i was interested in hearing was say aprilflounder may seabass june porgies fluke july etc etc etc any ideas.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sorry to say but those offshore trips might change as well after new regs on Tilefish and wreckfish come down.

The fishing landscape is changing very quickly these days.......:mad:

·
Registered
689 Posts
CT WHITE

As far as I know the MA. porgy limit for charters and party will be at 45 or 60 per man in May /June period they fish- the private boat limit might be 10 per man though - so I think we will have the Viking back up there this spring.

Some of the winners will be boats like the Klondike , Flaminngo , Brooklyn who have built a steady bluefish clientele as well as the Port Jeff boats that have done their "combo" Fluke /Porgie
Bluefish /Porgie trips for awhile now.

This post edited by morning dew 01:04 AM 02/04/2008

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I think CT is right about "ocean fishing"

I would guess that the boats that have a skilled and dedicated clientel will still be able to target their specialized species, at least part time, but boats that usually have a lot of rental rods at the rail will be forced to just bounce around looking for whatever they can get. Some boats,like bluefish boats, might see more business because the fishing reports are going to change (more good reports from blues boats, less good reports from fluke boats).

But really who knows, whenever I talk to a captain they seem as unsure as everyone else about what the future holds for the party boat business. I was just down in Florida where they're expectig to get absolutely killed by new grouper regs next year. It really sucks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
maybe I misread but I thought that scup were going to be managed not by each state but coastwide, and that the limit would be raised in the fall? Here's from another post

For scup we are stil working out the framework sa its NY CT RI and MA together. Its looing like 10 fish at 10 1/2" from 5/24 to 9/26 for shore bound and private boat anglers and for party/charter mode fishing, the "bonus season" will be like 44 days with 45 fish. OUtside of the bonus season there will be a 10 fish limit as well. All for hire fish will be 11"

not sure what timeframe those 44 days of 45 fish will be, if it's May-June, then the NY boats get screwed out of a summer/fall fishery...if it's fall, then the Mass boats will sail very light if patrons can only keep 10 porgies, if they sail at all.

Like I said before, boats may just have to advertise "4 hour fishing trips" and catch a little of this and a little of that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
with the newly posted regs i have the answer.The blue fish boats can fish for striped bass april 15- until around the beginning of may when they start catching blues also and both can continue until the blues run out some time in dec(no closed season) and the bass is over dec15.The bottom fishing boats can try for flounder april 1 till the end of may and can try for some blackfish till the end of april and also catch some seabass from early may when they start biting till whenever they stop(no closed season).In june they can add porgy to the seabass list until oct 30 and can start blackfishing again in oct till dec 20.The fluke boats can make arrangements to be sunk and used as artificial reefs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with the newly posted regs i have the answer.The blue fish boats can fish for striped bass april 15- until around the beginning of may when they start catching blues also and both can continue until the blues run out some time in dec(no closed season) and the bass is over dec15.The bottom fishing boats can try for flounder april 1 till the end of may and can try for some blackfish till the end of april and also catch some seabass from early may when they start biting till whenever they stop(no closed season).In june they can add porgy to the seabass list until oct 30 and can start blackfishing again in oct till dec 20.The fluke boats can make arrangements to be sunk and used as artificial reefs.

This post edited by onitis 09:12 PM 02/07/2008

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
if some fluke boats switch over to seabass porgy it's going to put more pressuer on those species and I bet they slap us with even tighter porgy/seabass regs as a result. Vicious cycle & it sucks.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
jtzannes wrote:
if some fluke boats switch over to seabass porgy it's going to put more pressuer on those species and I bet they slap us with even tighter porgy/seabass regs as a result. Vicious cycle & it sucks.

Agreed!! If the proposed regs go through, we've already lost the fight with the scup/seabass. What is in store for '09? 5 scup & 2 seabass?? Think goodness I love ling so much. Ooops, I heard they're gonna hit us on them too!!

This post edited by crabcake 02:16 PM 02/08/2008

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Orange Roughy(sea robin)

Bertog(bergals)

Bluefish

Striped bass

Jumbo doormat fluke as that's what a regular keeper will be.

Rare and elusive winter flounder.

and the combo 5 seabass, 3 porgy, 7 skate, 1 dogfish trip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.