NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the year winding down, thought I'd see how everyone fared on the cows/slobs in 2007. Please tell us of your largest catch, where/what boat, and whether it ate a jig or (god forbid) a hunk of clam.

This seemed to be a pretty weak year for large fish (I saw very few fish over 30lbs). Of course, the inability of recs to fish in the CCZ surely put a damper on the numbers of big fish caught, but hopefully in the long run will lead to an improvement in overall catches.

Pictures please!

Merry Christmas!

-Willy.

PS this is my 1000th post! Wonder how many hours of procrastination in front of my computer that translates into...

This post edited by Codfisha15 07:56 PM 12/24/2007

·
Registered
71 Posts
Captain's Fishing Parties out of Newburyport MA, Got a 9 pounder on a jig (first year jigging)and a 13 pounder on bait. Pretty sad in my book considering I was working almost everyday this season on the boat, I did see codfish earlier in the year that went to 54 pounds, just not that many.... Like codfisha said, maybe in the next few year the pop will increase, doubtful, but maybe

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something tells me we've got more than five cod fishermen on this board--come on guys, whatcha got? Don't be shy;).

My biggest this year was nothing special either--25.5 lb fish on a squidded diamond jig on Cashes Ledge aboard the Yankee Capts. Unfortunately, at least on the trips I was on offshore, we didn't see very many big fish. Oh well, maybe next year...

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Sorry State Of Affairs

I cannot remember catching any Cod this past season big enough to want to put on a scale. I would guess somewhere in the mid teens. 14 teen to 17 teen lbs. I am hopeful for a MUCH better season for size in 2008.

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Not much to talk about

My best this year was 25.7 and was taken on a clam bait while Seabass fishing during a November trip on the Viking. Marc said it right in that Codfishing, especially for large Cod is in a sorry state of affairs. It may come back eventually, but it will not be in either my or Marcs lifetime.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I may have had a couple in the low thirties but it was an off year for sure. I also doubt next year will be any better as we all try for the last big codfish in the GOM.

Happy New year......Bob

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Codkiller wrote:
I may have had a couple in the low thirties but it was an off year for sure. I also doubt next year will be any better as we all try for the last big codfish in the GOM.

Happy New year......BobBob, I did not land any cod over 30 lbs this year and I can not remember when was last time I failed to land a 30 lbs cod in any year after I started cod fishing.
I agree with you it is getting harder to get big cod regularly.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

DandJfish wrote:
My best this year was 25.7 and was taken on a clam bait while Seabass fishing during a November trip on the Viking. Marc said it right in that Codfishing, especially for large Cod is in a sorry state of affairs. It may come back eventually, but it will not be in either my or Marcs lifetime.

Speak for yourself MASTER OF SMELT - I plan on liveing a long time and plan on getting tons of BIG COD, JUMBO WHITTING And EVERYTHING else I can dream of ............... ((( wishful thinking ))) LOL

It does seem except for a couple of weeks a year finding Big Cod is not happening.

Sitting in the Mud waiting for a big cod is
B O R E I N G

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fishark531 wrote:
Speak for yourself MASTER OF SMELT - I plan on liveing a long time and plan on getting tons of BIG COD, JUMBO WHITTING And EVERYTHING else I can dream of ............... ((( wishful thinking ))) LOL

Don't forget BIG ATLANTIC HALIBUT!;)

Keep an eye out in the february and march issues of On the Water magazine--some lame know-it-all kid or other wrote a two part article on the current status of this noble flatfish;).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sitting in the mud waiting for codfish is indeed boring, might be a bit better than if there were more breeder mama cod around, but there isn't. Sucks when you sit in the mud some days and all that you get a few market cod and only 1 or 2 steakers. This must be why it is called fishing and not catching I guess....

Oh boy would it be nice if there was a good population of Halibut around here. I was on the water over 100 days this year ground fishing and I didn't even see one of those flatties

·
Registered
15 Posts
Made 16 trips for Cod/Haddock this year all on N.H. boats. My 2 largest were both caught on bait on the same trip the end of April on the Starfish a 15 and a 18 pounder. Nothing bigger than 7 or so on jigs. Alot of shorts maybe 1 in 5 ratio of keepers. Had one trip second wk. in June on the Yellowbird caught 27 cod and only 2 keepers. Hope there is a little bit of a future with all the shorts I saw this year. Also, on all of the trips only 5 or 6 20+ lb. fish were caught.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Did a couple of 6-paks this past year when we were into a good number of fish in the low 20s to high 30s . Released a good number of them if they were healthy and made a bee-line for the bottom. A couple stayed on top so they were kept. We pretty much kept all market fish on the two trips. Seems like if you leave the larger fish in the water and release them they stand a better chance of survival. Hoping to preserve some fish for spawn, good intentions ?
Yes, draggers' may have got them ! Started codding over 40 yrs. ago and the larger fish were hardly ever released so that probably adds to todays' problems of recs' overfishing, draggers', etc. Would be outstanding to see them make a comeback like the stripers but as was stated previously not in my lifetime. Remember the good ole Georges' days and we 're all guilty of greed. Also remember the good ole Quincy days (flounder) and its the same scenario over and over.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.