NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alberto,

I'm going to be respooling one of my conventional rods with braid, and was wondering what you prefer? Fireline, Whiplash, Spiderwire, or Power Pro... My rod is 40-60#. I was thinking about going with 50#, or do you think I could push the rod with 65#??? Also, I'm going to be using this rod for cod, blacks, sea bass, so does color of the line really matter?

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
I like the Power Pro on my convential rod and Fire Line on my spinning rod. In my opinion and experiences the Power Pro is softer and holds knots better. It is too soft for spinning gear and gets a lot of wind knots. Like I said, this is my experience and I sure others will disagree.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have to agree with Doughboy, although I have not had a problem with Power Pro on my 706. I have heard from many people that it is difficult to use on smaller spinning reels and with light lures. Power Pro is softer and less damaging to tackle than the other braids, it is also much easier to tie than the other braids. I fish 65# on a 40 pound rod with no problem, just set your drag accordingly. Also, at the end of the 65# I add about 10 - 15 feet of 50# Ande mono. This way if you get snagged the lighter mono breaks and not the braid. As I've stated before, the mono also gives you stealth and just a bit stretch. The reason I use 65# instead of 50# is twofold. First, it lays on the reel just a little better and secondly it gives you better knot strength at the splice to the mono. DO NOT use a graphite rod with braid. These are just my opinions and not what others may feel...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info D-boy and Gama..

I have a question for you Gama...

The rod I was going to put this line on is a Graphite composite. I was just checking online about it, it says it's a graphite/E-glass blank. Should I still stay away from the braid?

Also, do you think the Flourocarbon leader material is better than Ande Leader? I used Seaguar Flourocarbon on my light spinning rod that was spooled with Fireline and to me it almost seemed too elastic.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
I use 30 pound Power Pro with a 965 and a 7 foot, medium action graphite rod. The sensitivity is awesome. This works for me on inshore fishing. I am not experience with deepwater bottom fishing like Gamakatsu is describing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I read an article in Sport Fishing magazine a while back and they tested 85 different Monos and Braids in 20 lb test. Fireline came out on top for breaking strength because it was one of the thickest of the braids. Western Filament Tuf-Line (black and white one not the Tuf-Line Plus) came in second in break strength but #1 in abrasion resistance. Fireline was also one of the most expensive braids too at almost $30 for 300 yards while Tuf-Line is $30 for 600 yards. Since that article, I have switched from Fireline to 35lb (.011 in) Tuf-Line for my striped bass rod and 20lb (.007 in) Tuf-Line for my weakfish rod. I just put about about 15 - 20 foot of Stren Original - Lo Vis Green (most abraision resistant mono) for a shock leader.

This message was edited by mrsinbad on 1-20-02 @ 10:52 PM

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
jmc,

The composite blanks seem to be okay with braid, although Capt. Neil just told me today that he saw two Lamiglass blanks come back broken this year. I use Calstar composite blanks and according to the dealer that I use down in Florida, he has not gotten a single broken Calstar back yet. As far as fluorocarbon, yes. I use the Ande and then a small barrel swivel to which I attach my terminal tackle which almost always involves flourocarbon leader. The flouro is just too expensive to use 10 or 15 feet at a time for bottom fishing when rigs are frequently lost. Also, it is a lot faster to tie a leader to a swivel than to splice it to the braid. Again, this is just my $.02.

Gamakatsu

This message was edited by Gamakatsu on 1-20-02 @ 10:05 PM

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
JMC,

Go with the composite blanks if you can. Graphite will break using synthetic lines especially if the wall thickness of the blank is thin.

The two blanks that broke, the S Glass should never have had synthetic line on it. The same went for the 9' surf rod, graphite.

The 10 and 11' graphite surf blanks have heavier walls and I have not heard of problems with those.

A 40-60# blank should have sufficient wall thickness. I would have to see it to say,

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
404 Posts
gamakatsu,

i would love to use a small swivel to connect a 15 foot mono leader to my main line (fireline) for convenience, as you describe.

but i shudder when i imagine the swivel being reeled over the guides, especially with a fish on.

isn't that awfully rough on the guides?

set,
opinari

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Opinari,

I splice the braid and the mono with a double uni-knot (thinking about trying the Alberto knot this year) and at the OTHER end of the mono I attach a barrel swivel. Below the swivel goes the rig-de-jour. Sorry if my previous posts were confusing.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
404 Posts
gamakatsu,

what threw me off was when you talked about the lighter mono breaking instead of the braid.

i guess you must use even lighter mono or floro on the hook side of the swivel to conserve the other mono length.

seems like a good way to go.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
jmc91881 wrote:
I'm going to be respooling one of my conventional rods with braid, and was wondering what you prefer? Fireline, Whiplash, Spiderwire, or Power Pro... My rod is 40-60#. I was thinking about going with 50#, or do you think I could push the rod with 65#??? Also, I'm going to be using this rod for cod, blacks, sea bass, so does color of the line really matter?

Hi JMC,
There are various braid lines in the market and each has its advantages. If you are going to use braid for bottom dwellers like cod, black and Seabass... I am assuming you are "ocean" deep wreck fishing. Therefore I find the 50-lbs. braid is the ideal line test for that application!

I've tried just about every braid in the market and like Doughboy and Gamakatsu, the Power Pro is my preference. The Fireline comes close to second... but it must be worn out first because the stiffness and slickness will cut into the spool when fighting a quality fish (regardless if it's machined or tightly spooled!

Also - At times (when targeting big cod or Mr. Whitechin), I have no reservations filling with 65 lbs. braid... but you MUST ease on the drag when oversizing your rod's capability!

As for the line color... on most circumstances, it really doesn?t matter as long as you have ample (8'-15?) monofilament line to prevent those line shy fish! It is also a good idea to use a short fluorocarbon leader when fish are extra weary (usually during slack water and gin clear water).

As for the graphite "composite" rods... that's the way to go! Those blanks are designed for braid applications... but make sure you prevent from "lifting" a quality fish because you will run into a risk of breaking the tip!

Good fishing! :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
OPINARI wrote:
...What threw me off was when you talked about the lighter mono breaking instead of the braid...

That's a very good observation! Whenever using any braid line with mono end... it's always a good idea to downsize your mono lbs. test!

For example... if I am using 65-lbs. braid... I use 50-lbs. mono. and 50-lbs. braid... I use 40-lbs. mono! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.