NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this area in fishing. I only fish that area for porgies 5 years ago and didnt caught any other fishes.

I didnt even fish that area last year. I have not fish for 5 years. Everything change or something when I went fishing there and caught a few fish.
I saw many homeless or just weird drunks who keep bugging everyone for money or food and live on the pier.

Is that pier or area fish heaven? Can I catch all kinds of fish there? My friends told me they saw people catch very small fish. Not a good spot.

Does anyone fish that area or pier well enough to tell me if you that area has fish year round?

Now it Jan 2002 and what kind of fish can I catch other than herring? I was told by a local fisherman he caught whitings, big black sea bass there in the summer.

I caught a sea robin, a small fluke, and a shark there last year. Later last year, I got some porgies, too small, and lots of SKATES. I was there this morning and got skates, and no herring. No one was fishing there for 4 hours.

· Registered
343 Posts
Facing the ocean, the area 1000' to the RIGHT of the pier, just in front of the old Parachute Jump ride, there is a depression that comes quite close to shore. In season many of the Sheepshead Bay boats target Fluke there. Coney Island is renound for it's Whitefish. Starting in April, Norton Point is red hot for Bass. The only structure along this stretch is the jettys (groins).
The pier is good for Sand Porgies and Sand Sharks. Years ago I caught both Mackerel and Pilot Fish from the right hand corner. Not a hot place, stick with the beach. Fish near rocks.

Flounder

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I caught a trophy last week. It is a 13" whitefish. Do you want to see my trophy? LOL.

That means Coney Island's beach is no good. I saw no sandbar or anything like it but jetties.

How do you fish for bass or blues or weaks then? If there are no structures to attract them. Do I have to look for a blitz to hit them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.