NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay it took a few a years,some less than perfect nights,and a good amount of "practice" before I got a handle on fishing for stripers.I kept a log,put in some time, and came up with a formula that resulted in what I considered a perfect season.That was two years ago.Since that time I've been out of the loop and for the most part out of the water.I'm well aware that I still have alot to learn and maybe this is the easy way out but can anyone tell me how to catch a 50 lber - Please keep your responses breif or to yourself ;)

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
You are going to have to wait a good 5 years or so for the current striper population to grow-up to increase the chances of finding 50lbers again on a consistent basis. I don't have the specifics, but I do remember reading from several different sources that there is a huge void in the striper population for fish that were born during certain years. More specifically, the population that should have been this decade's 50 & 60lber's are no where to be found. Back in the 1970's, you would have been dreaming about a 70lber because 50lbers were as common as today's 25lber's. That is not the case today.

If the fish don't exist, it doesn't matter what technique you try.

·
Registered
981 Posts
<I'm well aware that I still have alot to learn and maybe this is the easy way out but can anyone tell me how to catch a 50 lber ->

Yep...same way you get to Carnegie Hall...practice, practice, practice... :)

Roccus, aka,
Jerry Vovcsko
East Bridgewater, Ma

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Totally agree.

With the limited number of 40-50 pounders out there it just takes time, time and more time.

This fall my catches have been way done for just that reason - I'm hunting that elusive big one. You have to use big fish technique, fish big fish times and places using big fish tackle and have lots and lots of patience. It maybe weeks or longer without even a hit. But when it comes it will be great!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks doc,its my understandingthat a 50lb bass is a female 15 + yrs.of age,and sticking with the old school regs of 36" which I still adhere to,I batted 1000(adjusting for early and post fall run trips)The problem is none of them broke the 30lb mark including a fish of 43".This being the case I concur with your calculations,but you've got to be in it to win it ! So in the meantime I'll be biding my time and adhereing to Jerryvov and Jaiem's advice and who knows maybe one day I'll just step in it :)...hmm, bigfish technique,practice,bigfish bait,practice,bigfish tackle...patience...sounds good

·
Registered
457 Posts
A 50 is closer to 18 years of age, and nearer to 50-inches in length. With only a small handful each year, odds of catching one are small. The key is time on the beach, and as previously mentioned you need gear suited to the task. As they say in sports, luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. I have been on the beach two times in the past two weeks when one guy next to me got a 47-incher & the other a 48-incher. So close, yet so far.....

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
266 Posts
All it take is being lucky. Be at the right place at the right time and you got a 50lb bass. You can get some yahoo that hardly ever fishes walk on the beach and toss a bunker chunk and sit in his beach chair and bang 50 pounder. Wasn't it last year or the year before that some guy caught that hugh bass in the middle of the day in the middle of summer. Just dumb luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.