NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr Alberto
Would you please tell me what brand/type/model of rod capable of handling 18oz of lead without the feel of a brumstick? Will get a Penn GTI LH to go with it, I intend to drift for Stripers and do bottom fishing for Blackfish with it.
(100 bucks + - ) Any input from all will also be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hi MellowYellow,

I will answer your question.. But are you planning to fish Charters, Private or party boats?

The reason why I am asking is because the rod lengths matter. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello MellowYellow,
Excellent, this gives me a good idea where to start. OK, if you are doing the private boat fishing? I recommend a stout rod ranging from 6 ½ - 7? long! If you plan a party boat 7 ½? + would be ideal. Why? It?s a lifting and leverage thing! ;)

Since you have tautog and Stripers in mind, you will need a Medium ? Heavy power and fast- action capable to hold payloads of 20-50 lbs. test! This should be strong enough to hold lead up to 20 oz. I?ve played with several rods and you can not go wrong with Lamiglas, Seeker, Daiwa?s and the new St.Croix rods. I generally will fish the higher end products because it is somewhat lighter with durable components (guides, wraps, seats etc).

Since you are looking into the $100 +- range? I would go with the St. Croix or Lamiglas! Why? In my opinion, it?s better components and it has a reasonable warranty.

You should use this as a parameter / guide and go to your local shop to see which one feels better. All in all, it?s generally a preference thing? you might like cork and I like foam, I like double wrapped and you might like single?. It depends and I would ask you to see your local shop and compare! However, regardless of what you pick? you should stick to my specifics!

Hope this answers your question and Happy shopping! :)

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
524 Posts
I agree with CA that you are looking for a rod 6.5-7 feet long rated from 20-50 lb. Take a look at the Lamiglas or Seeker composite rods which are a blend of graphite and glass. They are light and very tough and ideal for the application you are looking for. Fish these rods with your GTI spooled with 50 lb Power Pro and you will have a dynamite outfit.

Al G.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.